Moderator Control Panel ]

Online websites

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Online websites

Postby ksouthall » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:30 am

KarenQld wrote:Good luck with your backups - I have a few now. I previously thought just having it on an external drive was clever until I dropped it... so the more backups the better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with back ups! I'm thinking of adding paper copies as well, as I don't usually print out all the documents. Mind you, I think I'll need an extra room for all the documents I've found so far!
Last edited by ksouthall on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby KarenQld » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 am

ksouthall wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problemswith back ups! I'm thinking of adding paper copies as well, as I don't usually print out all the documents. Mind you, I think I'll need an extra room for all the documents I've found so far!

Oh no don't go down that road! Just buy another USB and do another back up!
KarenQld

Postby Thomas Stiles » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm

With regard to GenesReunited I have to say I have been guilty of not replying.....

In the early days I found their site somewhat tedious when it came to housekeeping mail boxes. If I wanted to delete a message, I had first to go to page 1, then scroll through all the pages, one by one until I got to the correct page, then delete the message I wanted. Along the way, I had to wait for each page to load before I could go on to the next one. I could not delete more than one message at a time. Time consuming or what?

There was no facility for me to make my tree available for anyone to see any time (I don't think there is now, but I'm no longer a subscriber).

Unfortunately a significantly high percentage of messages received were along the lines of "You have a George Brown in your tree, my Grandfather was George Brown, do you think we are related?". No dates, no Geography. Put another way, it seemed like a series of requests for me to do other peoples Trees for them.

So I did not renew my subscription. I haven't subscribed for many years but every now and again I get an email telling me someone has communicated with me.

I eventually tidied my account in Spring 2012, giving access to my tree to everyone who had contacted me. I had one response which I dealt with straight away. The site did provide a handful of very useful contacts, but on balance it was a nuisance and I can't see me using it again.

I hope this helps shed some understanding as to why you might find some data from some time ago but the provider is no longer active.
Descended from George Pearson Styles who changed his name to George Pearson Thomas. Currently back to Samuel Stiles married Writtle, Essex, 1743
Thomas Stiles

Postby clarksclerks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 pm

KarenQld wrote:
ksouthall wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problemswith back ups! I'm thinking of adding paper copies as well, as I don't usually print out all the documents. Mind you, I think I'll need an extra room for all the documents I've found so far!

Don't rely on USBs, they don't last for ever. I've just lost a whole lot of (relatively unimportant) data when a USB stick died after about 10 years.

Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:52 am

clarksclerks wrote:
KarenQld wrote:
ksouthall wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with back ups! I'm thinking of adding paper copies as well, as I don't usually print out all the documents. Mind you, I think I'll need an extra room for all the documents I've found so far!

Don't rely on USBs, they don't last for ever. I've just lost a whole lot of (relatively unimportant) data when a USB stick died after about 10 years.

Eileen

I've also been told that, if you keep your memory stick near your mobile phone, the memory stick can get wiped. I'm not sure how true this is though. It could be one of those urban myths.
ksouthall

Postby KarenQld » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:58 pm

I backup to USB's regularly - and not to the same one. I used to use cd's but as the database grew, changed to USB's as they became cheaper. External hard drives are good too (if you don't drop them) but backing up a few times a year with more an external hard drive and a new USB. Nothing will last forever. And what's that old saying, Don't keep all your eggs in the one basket ... works well!
KarenQld

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat