Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Orphan Asylum, Slough

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Royal Orphan Asylum, Slough

Postby nikkisibley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm having trouble tracing records for the Royal Orphan Asylum, Slough. I have an ancestor who worked there circa 1901. Any suggestions gratefully received.
nikkisibley

Re: Royal Orphan Asylum, Slough

Postby a-s-e » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:36 pm

www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/GetRecord/SHCOL_3719

only had a quick look but there seems to be lots on here ?
a-s-e

Postby a-s-e » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:40 pm

a-s-e

Postby nikkisibley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks, sometimes it's difficult to see the wood for the trees when you google! I have emailed the Surrey History Centre to see if they hold any staff records. I had found photos online of the buildings (sadly no longer there) but couldn't figure out where the records had ended up.
nikkisibley

Postby a-s-e » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I know what you mean and sometimes it seems like it's the look of the drawer with google :)

hope you get some good info back...
a-s-e

Postby Lindsay » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 am

Hi there. I live in Slough but have only just seen your post, so you may have discovered what you need to know by now. I had not heard of the orphanage so had a look at my copy of a book called
THE HISTORY OF SLOUGH by Maxwell Fraser 2nd edition 1980
on pages 60 and 61 there is an engraving of the Royal Hotel and Refreshment Rooms on Mackenzie St near Slough Station which later became the orphanage. The text says that the hotel was purchased in 1863 for conversion to an orphanage and when the British Orphan Asylum removed to Watford in 1920 the building was purchased by the Licensed Victuallers Orphanage. It was pulled down in 1938 and a school built in its place. [I think that building is the one demolished in 1984 to build the first of 3 successive Tesco stores on the site.] I believe Slough library has a copy of the book on the 2nd floor local history section, and the 1973 version of it is available used on Amazon for about £10. However,on a website called
www.sloughhistoryonline.org.uk
if you enter 'orphanage 'in the search box on that site then choose 'images' there are 3 photos taken in 1904,1906 and 1910 which, if you click to view larger image, give substantial text and covers all and more of the info given in the book.
Hope this is of some help, although your query is probably how to trace people who were brought up there rather han the history of the building.
Lindsay

Postby nikkisibley » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:29 am

Thanks for your information. You're right, I was looking for a particular staff member at the orphanage, and I've had no luck with the records offices of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Surrey (where the school it merged with ended up). However, your information was interesting and I've had a look at the website you mention. Thanks for taking the time.

Regards, Nikki
nikkisibley

Return to Local history