Moderator Control Panel ]

Leeds family 1951 - photo help please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Re: Leeds family 1951 - photo help please

Postby phsvm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Presumably the information you have about these photos comes from the backs of them? Otherwise I'm a litle confused how you know this about them without knowning who they are!

Have you thought about asking a local Leeds paper to run a piece about them and your efforts to find out who they are? Many local papers have a 'days gone by' or similar section.
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:52 pm

So what exactly is it you want to find out about Ethel and her husband? If you know who they are then what is it you're looking for.

What info do you have about the shop? If you know its name can't you find it in a Kelly's Directory which would give you an address? I would imagine the library in Leeds would have a local history department who may be able to help with the photo of the shop.

I don't know if Leeds has them, but here in Oxfordshire there are a series of books showing photos of towns as they used to be. If there is a simlar series about Leeds that may be worth tracking down so see if the shop features (or failing that getting in touch with the author and asking him if he knows anything about its location).
phsvm

Postby ritah » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:25 pm

As you know your cousin's name it should be a simple matter to trace her marriage to the man in the photo then work backwards to his first marriage and the name of the daughter.

If you don't want to put your cousins's name into this public space and don't have the facility to trace the marriage etc then do a private message to me with any name and dates you have and I will do what I can to help.

Rita
ritah

Postby AngieT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 am

If you still have the photo of the shop could you post it on here & I will have a look at it. I am Leeds born & bred and still live there - as do my elderly parents, mum in law, uncle & cousins (all in their 70s & 80's) who may recognise the shop.

Angie
Leeds
AngieT

Postby AngieT » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:35 pm

I will show it around my elderly relatives to see if it rings any bells.

Angie
AngieT

Postby AngieT » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Just as a point of interest - are you aware of the website www.secretleeds.com? Many people in & from Leeds share historical information & photos etc on this site & you can either place this photo on there in the hope it will be identified or I can do it for you if you wish.

Another interesting site, if you are now aware of it, is www.leodis.org/ which is an archive of old photos of Leeds. I have searched it for the shop and for the streets you have mentioned, however there are no photos that show the shop.

I have also looked at Kellys Directory of Leeds 1908 which mentions several confectioner/sweet shops in Leeds with owners called Wilkinson but Leodis doesn't have photos that match the shops' addresses. The only address that might match your information is :
Sarah & Annie Wilkinson (Confectioners) of 6, St Georges Road (as per the number 6 on the photo). However, it does not say where in Leeds this address is & the only road by that name that still exists is in Middleton (Leeds 11) and all the buildings on that road are industrial now.

I will still show the photo to my family & meanwhile let me know if you want me to place it on the Secret Leeds forum.

Angie
AngieT

Re: Leeds family 1951 & Sweetshop 1909 - photos help please

Postby DavidG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Try this site, it has a few of the streets mentioned.

http://www.leodis.org

David
DavidG

Return to Photo identification