Moderator Control Panel ]

Isle of Man births

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Isle of Man births

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:23 pm

My relation Ethel May Wormald was born in Douglas on The Isle of Man in 1888 but I haven't found the actual Birth Record via BMD, Find My Past or Ancestry.co.uk. The family lived in London. I would love to send for the certificate as it should have the address and maybe a clue of why they were there. Work? Holiday?
Are Isle of Man records available anywhere? Can anyone help?
Thank You
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Re: Isle of Man births

Postby ritah » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Hello Sylvia

Family Search shows a birth of Ethel Wormald on 15th January 1888 in Douglas Isle of Man.
Father David Wormald
Mother Sarah Elizabeth Holt Wormald
I assume this is your relation.

I then did a google search for isle of man births which gave me the Official Isle of Man Government Registry website. Once on this click on family history on the left of the page which will bring up a list of downloadable documents. With the information you now have you should be able to obtain the certificate quite easily.

Hopefully this is of help.

Rita
ritah

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks Rita. It will be my relation. I found the baptism was registered when the family came back to London and that Ethel was a probationer of midwifery on the 1911 census.
I found nothing after that not marriage or death or Electoral Registers. She could have returned to Dewsbury. It all takes time.
No one ever spoke of her, only her brothers Percy and James who was my grandfather. tomorrow
I'll have a good old google tomorrow.
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby a-s-e » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Search Results
Your search returned 1 result(s).

Page: Year Surname Name District Vol Page No
1888 WORMALD ETHEL DOUGLAS A2 686

If you want further information on the event, you will need to order the certificate from the Isle of Man Civil Registry. If you supply the reference number it costs £7.00, if you don't then it's £9.50 per certificate. Send your cheque or PO (made payable to the Isle of Man Government) along with the details from the index to:

The Douglas Civil Registry Office, Deemsters Walk, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 3AR
a-s-e

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Hello a-s-e
Thanks for this info.
I had a little google using Rita's info but have got bogged down with the Euros.
I certainly will be sending for the certificate.
You people on this forum are so kind to help me.
I may be able to solve a mystery.
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby JoTolhurst » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:31 am

There is a nursing record from WW1 available from the National Archives which may be Ethel's:
Description
Name Wormald, Ethel
Date 1914 - 1920
Catalogue reference WO 399/9243
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Directorate of Army Medical Services and Territorial Force: Nursing Service Records, First World War
Piece WORMALD Ethel
Image contains 1 Document of many for this catalogue reference.

It costs £3.50 to get a download.

Jo
JoTolhurst

Postby JoTolhurst » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 am

There's also a possible medal card:
Description
Medal card of Wormald, Ethel
Corps Regiment No Rank
Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve Staff Nurse
Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/23
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection
JoTolhurst

Postby a-s-e » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Ebay no - 170855700586

The Graphic - feb 5 1916

Includes a photo of Miss E Wormald - a nurse - who has gone to Russia to look after Polish refugees
a-s-e

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi Jo,
Thank you for this information which is certainly something to pursue. After her baptism, back in London, Ethel is listed as Ethel May. It would be exciting to find out that the Ethel you have found is mine. She would be my grandfather's sister. I shall probably have to eliminate the Dewsbury Ethel Wormalds first.
I sent for the birth certificate this morning, so that's a start.
I'll report back on here.
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi again a-s-e,
Jo has also given me some info and now you've found this on ebay, something that I'll certainly look into. I'm going to be busy! I sent off for Ethel's birth certificate which was easy to do. I've got quite a collection now.
I had been working on my Gran's side - the Sheppards - she never actually got married to James Wormald, Ethel's brother but I'm sure my mother didn't know.
Thanks for this. I will report back.
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Next

Return to General research queries