Moderator Control Panel ]

Isle of Man births

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Isle of Man births

Postby a-s-e » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi Sylvia,

I'd seen it on ebay the other day but wasn't sure about it until I saw what Jo had found.

if it is your Ethel and you decide you'd like it I would message the man with an offer first as I think it's abit expensive for what it is and not something I would of thought he'd sell quite easily !!

hope your cert comes through ok
a-s-e

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello Again,
My Ethel May Wormald has turned into a bit of a disappointment!
I sent off my cheque and application for the birth certificate but they were returned to me with a form to complete and the request for more fee and more details which I'm doing.
But now I have the website I may find something on the Electoral Rolls,too.
I found the article in the Graphic about Miss E Wormald helping the Polish refugees in Petrograd not only on ebay but also on Amazon and took a few pics in case the articles disappeared suddenly. It was nice to see the photo as I only have 1 of my grandmother who was Ethel's sister-in-law and none of any Wormalds at all.
I also bought and downloaded the War Records of Miss Ethel Wormald which sadly proved that she was not born in Douglas, Isle of Man nor in 1888. It made very interesting reading and I may discover a link to the Dewsbury Wormalds. I shall at least make notes if not photocopy the lot as it's mine for a month. I can ask on the 'unwanted' section of the forum, too.
The National Archives site was so easy to use, like GRO. I think that ordering online is probably best!
Thank you so much for all this help you gave me.
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby a-s-e » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm

So sorry about the certificate ordering info being wrong Sylvia, obviously the website that I copied it from - manxbmd.com needs updating :(
a-s-e

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 pm

HI again,
Don't be sorry because I double checked hoping to find credit card facilities like on GRO.
I may see where they lived when the certificate comes or what they were up to!
Thanks again.
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby a-s-e » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 pm

fingers crossed :)
a-s-e

Postby callbrian » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi
I'm not sure how I happened to miss your original post. It was only through a 'Google' search I came across it.
My Ancestry subscription is shortly to end, so I have been trying hard to put some information into my tree. I had been working through the Wormald line, My Grandmother was Sarah Louisa Wormald b 1899 or 1900 whichever is correct. Her father was James Wormald, Ethel's brother.
I had just found the reference to the Nurses Home in Landsdowne Road, Victoria Docks,shades of 'Call the Midwife'.
I haven't been able to find any more info about her. I would be only too pleased to share any other family info with you if you wish. I would prefer it to be through a personal message.

Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Brian,
I may have been in contact with you before on Genes ReUnited.
We got back from our holidays today but I'll be in touch soon as I've got Ethel's birth certificate from the Isle of Man Office but no marriage or death.
Percy was one of my Grandmother Mary Sheppard's brothers. There were more. Susanna Sheppard was their mother and Joshua Sheppard their father. My grandmother adopted the name Wormald because Sarah Tynan was still alive. She may have been in a mental hospital or workhouse.
I've got spread sheets that Percy's granddaughter Audrey Brown, my second cousin, sent me.That was through Genes. I'll try to forward them in the morning.
I sometimes wonder if we are who we think we are!
Bye for now,
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Again, Brian,
I've got Ethel Wormald's birth certificate and it contains the following information.
The birth was registered in the district of Douglas, Isle of Man on 25th February 1888 by Sarah Wormald, mother, so that was a bit of a gap.
She was born on 15th January 1888 at Woodbine Cottage, Victoria Road, Douglas.
Her parents are David Wormald, Builder, and Sarah Elizabeth Wormald formerly Holt. I presume that means nee and not an earlier marriage as the column heading includes maiden name.

I can't imagine what they were doing on The Isle of Man. On holiday, visiting relations, or maybe building houses?

I don't know how your Percy fits into the equation as mine is Percy Sheppard.

James Wormald born 1880 was my grandfather but he'd married Sarah Louise Tynan and had 3 children, Clara Louisa b 1900, (Sarah) Louisa b 1900 and James b1902. Clara died in infancy and Sarah was known as Louisa. I believe she emigrated to Canada. I'm interested to learn that James died at Scapa Flow because he must be my relation and I haven't found anyone else doing anything brave. He would have been my mother's half uncle - I think!

I'm a bit rubbish at upload/scan/private message etc but if you give me an ordinary email address I can forward Audrey Brown's emails that contain the spread sheets. There may not be anything of much use to you as she is also a Sheppard but she was interested in the Wormalds and did a bit of research to find Ena and Doris my aunt and mother and to discover that Ena married Clive Davey and not Albert Cave!!

I hope this helps a bit. I'm with Genes, Find My Past and Ancestry. I waste my subs because I need quality time to use them, not just snatched moments.
Bye for now,
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby callbrian » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi Sylvia,
I have sent you a personal message within this WDYTYA? website. I will send another with an email address you can contact me on.
I found that Ethel wasn't christened until Mar 23rd 1894 in St. Mary, Newington, so maybe David Wormald was over on the IOM working and they waited until they returned.
I have found only the two children for James & Sarah, as I believe that probably Clara & Sarah are the same person and it is a mistake within the registration. I could find no Clara on freebmd either birth or death.
Sarah Louisa was my grandmother and did go to Canada in c 1947. Percy was my father.
James was on board HMS Royal Oak, when it was torpedoed in 1939 part of the British fleet. There is a website dedicated to this incident. http://www.hmsroyaloak.co.uk/

Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby anthony@lorant.co.uk » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:27 pm

interesting searching for detail on my husbands grandfother that was James Lawrence Wormald, that was on the Royal Oak that sadly sunk in scapa flow i saw your post. On his birth certificate James was born in Southwalk London. the address is 71 Chapter Road Walworth.
anthony@lorant.co.uk

Previous

Return to General research queries