Moderator Control Panel ]

Which family history website is best value?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Which family history website is best value?

Postby SmegSlayer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:05 pm

I know a lot of them do 14day trials but after that they are very expensive for me. I wish they would take the money monthly not in a £70-100 lump sum.

I've been a member of Genes Reuninted before and found the site very easy to use but I will need parish records which is an extra £14.95 so am looking at nearly £100 annual membership.

Ancestry.co.uk is over £100 and FMP is £50 for 6 months...
SmegSlayer

Re: Which family history website is best value?

Postby ColinB » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 pm

There are pros and cons with all of the sites. If you are finding ancestors who emigrated to Canada, the USA and Australia then I would go for Ancestry Worldwide , if not you could start with the Premium sub and see what developes. Both Ancestry and FMP offer parish records so it would pay to check the coverage before you commit yourself. Incidentally Ancestry offers a monthly payment option with all of its packages , but it does work out much more expensive when compared with paying annually. ( If you go for a monthly option it should give you the chance to cancel if you found you weren't happy but check T&Cs to be sure ).

Colin
ColinB

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Of course - before paying any money to a subscription site, first see if you can find what you want on http://www.familysearch.org. They also have microfilmed far more parish records than have actually been indexed, and many films have now been digitised and are available to browse-online. To do this though you will probably need to sign up for an account first - no charge. Non-digitised films can be ordered up for viewing at your nearest LDS Family History Centre and there is a small charge for this.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:57 pm

I have full subs to both Ancestry & FMP. What I can't find on one I can find on the other, whilst these sites are both expensive it is after all my hobby & the $450 it cost (or thereabout) for the year is probably nowhere near the cost of other peoples hobby's. My gym membership cost me $1,000 for the year which I cancelled after the first year. Just a thought.

Desmond
desmond

Postby Judy456 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:12 pm

It also depends on where your ancestors are from. Most of mine are from Scotland, so paying to use the ScotlandsPeople site is necessary, but can get expensive. I have full Ancestry membership as many on the family tree migrated, particularly to US and Canada, but haven't joined other pay to use sites. I use the LDS Family Search a lot as it's free, and can pinpoint possibilities before paying to look them up on ScotlandsPeople. And I've also come across useful free info simply by using Google to search for people, places, etc.

It's certainly not a free hobby if you want to do it thoroughly, but I'm happy to spent on it as it's something that really interests me.
Judy456

Postby maxine tallon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 am

I use the Geneologist, and Ancestry what I can't find on one I find on the other, not cheap but worth the money. I also use FreeBMD and Family Search to top up what I can't find on the other two sites. Both are Free. It's not a cheap hobby but very rewarding so worth every penny.

maxine
maxine tallon

Return to Genealogy chat