Moderator Control Panel ]

The Linen Houses of the Bann Valley

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Wed May 30, 2012 10:37 am

The Linen Houses of the Bann Valley by Kathleen Rankin

"A companion volume to The Linen Houses of the Lagan Valley, this tells the story of the linen families and their houses in the counties, Down, Armagh and Tyrone. The book is well illustrated with many colour illustrations and contains family trees for the Bell family, the Cowdy family, the Crawford family, the Dickson family, the Dunbar family, the Ferguson family, the Greer and Greeves family, the Lindsay family, McMaster family, the Murland family, the Smyth family, the Sinton family, and the Uprichard family.
Published by the Ulster Historical Foundation, Belfast 2007, 260pages
ISBN 978-1-903688700."

Does anyone have a copy of this book that they could scan pages from, or sell me, or indeed know where i can get it? I have searched for a copy online to no avail. My partner and I are trying to trace her Hobson family from Lurgan, Armagh, Ireland and a clue stating that her Great Great Grandfather Benjamin Hobson (father of William Hobson "Quaker Warrior") was employed in the linen trade by distant relations. This book came up in a google search and there are too many familiar surnames mentioned in the googlebooks preview to be a coincidence. I have surnames for William Hobson's grandparents to be Fulton, McClelland, and his great grandmother was called Sarah Bell. According to googlebooks the above book has mention of Bell and McClelland families and i suspect it is one of these families that employed Benjamin Hobson.
Any help is much appreciated
All the best
Wayne and Zoe
Guybrush Threepwood

Re: The Linen Houses of the Bann Valley

Postby ritah » Wed May 30, 2012 1:55 pm

This is probably a little obvious but have you contacted the Ulster Historical Foundation? They seem to have a lot of books shown on their website and may be able to help. The North of Ireland Family History website also links you back to the Ulster Historical Foundation.

Rita
ritah

Postby ColinB » Thu May 31, 2012 7:38 am

Hi

There is a copy of this book in the British Library. If you can't get it any other way , and it does seem
to be out of print , you could perhaps register for a reader pass and visit the reading room , or
alternatively apply through your local library for an Inter Library loan. It is some years since I
worked in the library system but it used to be the case that you could apply to borrow books from
the British Library , on payment of a fee , through any library.

I'm assuming you are in the UK ? If not this won't help !

Colin
ColinB

Postby kenhara » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 am

Hi, new here from Australia and also looking for the Linen House book but I think its an old post and no one will response, but its an try. If its in British Library, could we access it online?
Shopping of Linen and Moore bedding in Australia on SALE.
kenhara

Postby devonliz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 am

This book is currently available from the bookshop of the Ulster Historical Foundation at £24.99 (plus postage of course) see www.booksireland.org.uk
devonliz

Return to General research queries