Moderator Control Panel ]

Please help me identify these people

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Please help me identify these people

Postby Jack Nicholson » Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Found these two images in an old family history album, but have no idea how they relate to my family's history. They are the same people in both images, and the group seem to be wearing some form of uniform. I don't recognize any of the people in the picture. Basically I need some help identifying just what this group is. I don't think it's just a bunch of friends; I believe they had some sort of purpose. I notice that in one of the photos they are on a pile of rubble. Is this significant? Would very much like some feedback please. Thanks.
Attachments
DSC_0295.JPG
DSC_0295.JPG (70.5 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
DSC_0255.JPG
DSC_0255.JPG (93.37 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Jack Nicholson

Re: Please help me identify these people

Postby phsvm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:10 pm

I would agree with you about the clothes looking like uniforms - they all seem to have the same style collar/neckline.

I don't know if this is any help but I have a photograph taken of my mother in about 1930 when she was 10 wearing her school uniform and the hat she is wearing is very simlar to the hat being worn by the girl in the centre of the first photo.

Have you any idea where in the contry these pictures were taken? Is there anything written on the back of them?
phsvm

Postby Jack Nicholson » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:00 pm

This side of my family were from Blackheath in Kent/Lewisham area.
Jack Nicholson

Postby phsvm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:46 pm

A real longshot but why not try and contact the local history section of the library in Blackheath or Lewisham and ask if they have any photos of children from local girls schools around 1920/30 and see if any of them show girls wearing similar clothes.

It's not Colfe's as this was a boys' school but there's Blackheath Girls' School. You could always contact the school direct (http://www.blackheathhighschool.gdst.net/) and ask if they have an archivist who could tell you if their uniform was ever like this.

Of course I could be completely wrong but if you've got nothing else to go on you've really got nothing to loose.
phsvm

Return to Photo identification