Moderator Control Panel ]

Deleting posts

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Deleting posts

Postby KayFarndon » Thu May 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I have a notice on the forum which is well past its sell by date and I need to delete it, but do not seem able to. Can anyone tell me how to do it please? I know it should be simple but I just can't worK out how to do it. although I have tried.
KayFarndon

Re: Deleting posts

Postby pre1837 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Can you not click on 'EDIT' at the top right, remove content and then re-submit the blank page?
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby KayFarndon » Sun May 06, 2012 10:18 am

Many thanks and how simple!
KayFarndon

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 pm

The advice given as to how to delete posts sounded very simple, but it did not work. Each time I tried I got the message telling me that there was no subject title, or that my message did not have enough characters and I could not delete it.
Has anyone else any idea how to delete unwanted posts please?
KayFarndon

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:40 pm

KayFarndon wrote:The advice given as to how to delete posts sounded very simple, but it did not work. Each time I tried I got the message telling me that there was no subject title, or that my message did not have enough characters and I could not delete it.
Has anyone else any idea how to delete unwanted posts please?

The advice given by pre1837 was on how to clear the post, making it a blank entry. This should work if you leave something in the title field.

To actually delete the post, you need to click on the small grey cross between the Edit button and the exclamation mark. You should then be prompted to confirm whether or not to delete the post.

You will only be able to delete your post if it is the last post in the thread. If someone has responded to your post, they would have to delete their post before you could delete yours.
ksouthall

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:13 pm

What I really wanted to do was to delete my original post as it was the wrong man and I do not want to waste people's time in replying to it.

I tried clicking the exclamation mark, but there were no options. Only for me to 'report this post'.

If you delete the message, but leave the title, it just said that there were not enough characters in it!
KayFarndon

Postby ColinB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 pm

You can't delete it if someone has already replied. You could edit the title , add the word SOLVED in capitals , or something appropriate to discourage replies.

Colin
ColinB

Postby KayFarndon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:31 am

Thank you Colin, all done and dusted now.
KayFarndon

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Kay,

If you PM me with the thread you're referring to, I can jump in and delete it if you like.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Return to Technical help