Moderator Control Panel ]

Bigamous Marriage

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Bigamous Marriage

Postby kjh » Tue May 01, 2012 3:45 pm

My ancestor Alfred Stanley Lund (26) married a Kathleen Gregory (27), for the first time, on 7th Dec 1912 at the Southampton Register Office. Kathleen was described as a Widow, and her father was a Maurice Murphy, Fish Merchant (deceased). On 26th June 1915, they are recorded as marrying again, with the informaton on the certificate stating 'Kathleen's first husband (Mr.Gregory) was previously living but had since died'. We presume that a) She might have lied; or b) He might have been a missing person (lost at sea, lost in war - which war?) - subsequently turning up and then dying. We don't know Mr.Gregory's first name and cannot locate either an earlier marriage for Kathleen or a death for Mr.Gregory between 1912 and 1915. Can anybody provide any information about this case, or suggestions for how to find out more?
kjh

Re: Bigamous Marriage

Postby Loish711 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Looks like she was on her own in Southampton with her children in 1911 census and the first child was born Ireland so I'd think maybe her first husband was back in Ireland. She is listed as married not widow here.
Try using this website to find him. http://www.rootsireland.ie
Loish711

Postby ritah » Tue May 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello

I have found Kathleen on the 1911 census living as a boarder at 77 Church Street Shirley Southampton. She is shown age 27, as being born in Cork Ireland and married for six years so probably married in Ireland. Her two sons are with her,Edward Morris Gregory age 5 born Kinsale Ireland and John Patrick Gregory age 4 born in Southampton. If you get John Patrick's birth certificate this should give you more clues as to his father etc, he was born in the April to June Qtr 1907, South Stoneham District, Hampshire, Volume 2c Page 92. Once you have the father's name this should enable you to search for Kathleen's marriage to Mr Gregory; there is a marriage for a Katie Murphy on Family Search O-D1904 Kinsale but no husband's name shown so can't be certain this is her.

Hope this helps a little.

Rita
ritah

Postby Loish711 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:43 pm

I was going to suggest that you got the second son's birth certificate but ritah beat me too it :lol: I've had a quick look at the Irish Foundation site but I can't find a marriage that fits. :(
Loish711

Postby 2012girl » Tue May 01, 2012 6:34 pm

There is a birth record for Edward Maurice Gregory in Kinsale, Ireland Apr - Jun 1906

There is also a marriage for a Catherine MURPHY in Kinsale Jan - Mar 1905, the corresponding spouse for the entry is an Edward GREGORY.

Hopefully that may be your marriage but certainly the birth looks correct.

I would suggest you download the appropriate forms and send off for the certificates from the GRO in Ireland to confirm.

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

If you only require the information for research purposes then if you tick the box for a photocopy of the entry then it's exactly the same information but for half the price of the full certified copy, about £5 each I think.

Good luck,

Jill
2012girl

Postby kjh » Tue May 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks to Jill, Rita and Loish for all you replies which give me plenty to work on. Exciting!
KJH
kjh

Postby Loish711 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:11 am

Good work 2012girl I didn't think of trying Catherine. I did try Edward for the father though.
Kinsale is where it says Edward Morris was born on the 1911 census so I'm sure you're right. :D
Loish711

Return to General research queries