Moderator Control Panel ]

Oh! Whoops!

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Oh! Whoops!

Postby mfkirke » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:57 am

The piece on Journalism was interesting but I am always suspicious when I can see a blatant error. How good is the research when I see this line:-

"freelance penny-a-liners, who had to get 144 lines of type published to earn a single pound"

In this case your history is simply my past! There were 240 pennies in a pound! (and I'm only 61... there are millions of us who remember £sd)

And how much was a reasonable wage? Otherwise you are just writing in the "I remember when you could have a good night out for one and six" genre.
mfkirke

Re: Oh! Whoops!

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your comment: although the name of the job was a 'penny-a-liner', due to the original wage, the payment did change over time. From The Great Metropolis by James Grant (1837): "When their matter is inserted, or, to use their own phraseology, their copy is used, they are paid at the rate of three-halfpence for every line. The price originally was a penny a line; hence the origin of their designation."

Any further queries or worries, give me a shout!

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby mfkirke » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Not a reply, Matt! If you wrote that piece you made a mistake...repeat after me 12 pennies one shilling, 20 shillings one pound.
mfkirke

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:56 am

Hi there,

I didn't write the piece – it's bylined to Jad Adams. And I'm not disputing how many pennies there were in the pound...

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby mfkirke » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks, Matt. It is important that inaccuracies are acknowledged otherwise history just becomes fantasy.
mfkirke

Postby ksouthall » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 pm

mfkirke wrote:Thanks, Matt. It is important that inaccuracies are acknowledged otherwise history just becomes fantasy.

There was no inaccuracy - the rate of pay increased over time.

The penny-a-liners originally had to get 240 lines of type published to earn a single pound; this decreased as their rate of pay increased.
ksouthall

Postby mfkirke » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Ksouthall, you would be entirely right had the piece carried a precise date.
mfkirke

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:06 pm

mfkirke wrote:Ksouthall, you would be entirely right had the piece carried a precise date.

But nicknames for occupations stick, even when they refer to an aspect of the job that has changed. Yeomen of the Guard are still called Beefeaters - and I bet some of them are probably vegetarians.
ksouthall

Return to Magazine chat