Moderator Control Panel ]

Phantom Boards

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Phantom Boards

Postby ColinB » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Is it just me ? Every now and then I'm seeing boards which aren't usually there.
They seem to date back to 2009 and in one or two cases others have obviously seen them
and posted more recently.

For example : Online Feedback / Worldwide Ancestors / Identifying Artefacts /Tracing
Military Ancestors etc

Colin
ColinB

Re: Phantom Boards

Postby Sylcec » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:54 am

I've noticed these also, Colin, but decided that it was simply a case of attempted re-organisation by the boards administrator, with provision of some new and specific categories in which to post queries. Confess to not having had a look at the old messages included in those boards, but rather assumed (always a dangerous thing to do!!) that they would have been transferred from the old boards and relevant to the new heading. The fact that they haven't been used yet may partly be a reflection on what seems to me to be decreased use of the WDYTYA forum.
Cheers, Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ColinB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:03 am

Hi Sylvia,

Glad I'm not seeing things. Today they're there when I'm logged in , but gone when
I'm not !

Colin
ColinB

Postby meekhcs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Colin

How extraordinary!

I must admit I have not been logging on lately, unless something really catches my eye, and as Sylvia posted earlier, the Forum does not appear to be used so regularly these days, and very often when you do answer a thread the originator does not respond.

However, having read your thread I logged on, and sure enough there are a lot of old threads in view.

I was also surprised to find that someone had added a post to my old thread from last year about difficulties logging on .....and there are several new posts on old threads dating back to 2011,2010 and 2009 this weekend.

Wierd! Sally
meekhcs

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

Yes, these 'phantom boards' - excellent phrase, by the way - are something of a nuisance, particularly because I spent some time a couple of months ago rearranging the forum to make it easier to use.

I've let our technical team know about the problem but, before I remind them, are people happy with the way in which the boards are arranged when they're displayed correctly (ie, when you're logged out)?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby ColinB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Matt,

I thought the simplified version of the boards was better and did stop the business
of people posting in multiple boards or on the wrong one. Picking up on the comments
about the Forum not being as active and people not returning to view their responses
I think this may in part be due to lack of notifications . Since the problems with the site
last year I don't receive any notifications and I know others have said the same. If that
could be fixed it might help prompt people to come back to view their replies.

Colin
ColinB

Postby meekhcs » Tue May 01, 2012 8:49 am

Hello Matt

I agree with Colin's comments re notification.

Also, I have found that posts can rapidly move down the board, and are "lost", if there is a sudden rush of posts, eg over a weekend. However I also realise that dedicated responders search the boards regularly for such posts, and, if possible, they will eventually be answered.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ritah » Tue May 01, 2012 4:54 pm

I visit the site most days but don't log in unless I want to respond to a post but haven't had any problem receiving notification of replies.

I like the way the site is laid out at present.

Rita
ritah

Return to Technical help