Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Service Record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 Service Record

Postby Georgia3170 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm

My Grandfather enlisted in 1915 and joined the Middlesex Regiment. He was captured and held in Germany until 1918. When he returned to England he remained in the Regiment until being transferred to the Reserve in 1922. He was subsequently discharged in 1927. I do not have his records and wondered if it was possible to obtain them. I have been told that his records would not have been held with other First World War soldiers and because of this I should be able to locate them. If so, can anyone suggest where I might look? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Georgia
Georgia3170

Re: WW1 Service Record

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Unless he was an officer (in which case his records may be at The National Archives, Kew) then as he served after 1922 they will be held by the Ministry of Defence in Glasgow where they can be requested at a cost of about £30 which is non-refundable even if the record cannot be found. I understand that there is a waiting list of several months, full information can be supplied to the next-of-kin and a less detailed account to anyone else, assuming in both cases that the individual is dead or has given consent.
junkers

Re: WW1 Service Record

Postby Georgia3170 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Many thanks for information. I have filled in the necessary forms and sent off my money, so fingers crossed I will receive my Grandfather's service record. Thanks again.
Georgia.
Georgia3170

Return to Military help