Moderator Control Panel ]

Titanic

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Titanic

Postby Loish711 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:54 am

During this weekend of remembrance for those who died on the Titanic do any other people feel a bit perturbed by some of the " celebrations " of the event. I'm fine with people travelling to the site and having services or even museums or gardens of remembrance but people dressing up like their ancestors or selling commemorative mugs I feel is a bit beyond the pale. Like my partner pointed out would we sell mugs to commemorate 9/11 or get dressed up as soldiers to remember their actions in war. I'm all for remembering people in a respectful way for such a tragedy but dying on a ship isn't any different to any other death. It doesn't make people heroes.
Loish711

Re: Titanic

Postby Sylcec » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:19 am

Being on the other side of the world, as I am, was not aware that commemorative Titanic mugs are for sale. I suspect that come 100 years after an event (and long after our demise), that there may be more commemorative mugs produced to mark or remember the anniversarys of events that today still fill us with horror. Let's just hope that there is not much of a market for the mugs.

As for the dressing up in period costume by passengers on the ships marking the centenary of the sailing and loss of the Titanic, it seems quite reasonable that they are trying to recreate the mood or atmosphere of the original sailing back in 1912.

Hopefully in the last 100 years shipbuilders, aircraft manufacturers etc have learnt the lesson not to declare that their creation is infallible (unsinkable) and take short cuts with safety (insufficient lifeboats).
Sylcec

Postby Loish711 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 am

I think there has been a lot of strides made towards safety due to the Titanic sinking as I heard about it on a programme about the event. I suppose the dressing up thing is really a matter of personal taste but I find it quite disrepectful. To me they are only "playing" at it and are very unlikely to meet the same fate but for the poor people on the Titanic it was for real.
On the point of heroes too I'd like to qualify what I said so it doesn't cause offense to anyone directly connected. I do believe there were many people whom performed heroic acts on the ship, of that I'm sure but just dying on a ship doesn't make you an hero per se anymore than any other death does.
Loish711

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:05 pm

The Titanic events are not "celebrations" but commemorations and I think that in the main have been conducted well. I don't have an issue with people buying mugs or the like, even magazines containing articles on the Titanic. Events such as the First World War commemorations have had people 'dressing-up" and is accepted as part of the commemoration. The Titanic inquiry in the UK was set up by the Board of Trade who were the ones that set down the number of lifeboats required which was less than Titanic had, even though there were clearly not enough. We should not forget that lessons still had to be learned in recent history over shipping disasters and that people should in my view listen to the emergency announcements when travelling.
junkers

Postby Loish711 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Excellent site I've just come across
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victims/
Loish711

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Would we "get dressed up as soldiers to remember their actions in war?" Yes - many times over - e.g. the Sealed Knot, the Ermine St Guard, etc., etc. If we accept if for something X years ago, surely we accept it full stop - at least for any circumstances where there are no personally involved survivors (and no-one survives from the Titanic now).

Re the number of lifeboats - I'm in no position to say this for certain, but my understanding is that the number of lifeboats on Titanic was not a figure plucked out of thin air. It was based on the experience that ships in that era simply did not sink rapidly but that they would take time to sink. During that time the lifeboats would be used not as a last resort but as ferries to take people over to rescuing ships. In fact, Wikipedia states that "Had the SS Californian responded to the Titanic's distress calls, the lifeboats would have been adequate to ferry the passengers to safety as planned." Clearly they were wrong but nor was it an unjustified ludicrous idea.

It's also pretty clear that no-one in White Star or Harland & Wolff declared the ship to be unsinkable. That's a concoction of the popular press who can't be bothered with (or don't understand) the caveats that were given by those 2 companies. Of course unsinkability was the ultimate aim - but no-one was under the illusion that it had been achieved.

Personally, I do feel the Titanic stuff to have been overdone - it's nothing to do with morality etc, for me, but simply that Titanic fatigue set in very rapidly for me. Especially since few can be bothered with the subtleties of reality.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat