Moderator Control Panel ]

What did an Ostler do?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

What did an Ostler do?

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:15 pm

What exactly did an ostler do? I know it was to do with horses but I'm having no luck tracking down my Great Great Great Grandfather George Pook who was listed as an ostler on my great great grandmother Elizabeth Pook's marriage in Cardiff in 1899. In 1894 he was fined for not sending his children to school and lived at 16 Scott Street, Cardiff, but this is all the info i can find on him - i have found no trace of them in the censuses prior to Elizabeth's marriage and i can't find her birth certificate. I thought if i could find out more about ostlery that it might give me clues to search with.
Guybrush Threepwood

Re: What did an Ostler do?

Postby Sylcec » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:52 am

He was employed at an Inn or hotel as a stablehand to look after travellers' horses.
Sylcec

Re: What did an Ostler do?

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:44 am

so i'm looking for a stable hand or groom? Thanks that might help me narrow my search. I can't seem to find a George Pook that fits, though i have come across a John Pook that would if he was called George lol. There seems to be no trace of the family. There were rumours abounding that my Great Grandmother Brock was a gypsy, but i have since found that out not to be the case and i am now wondering if my grandad may have meant my Great Great Grandmother, Pook - would Ostler be a job for a traveller?
Guybrush Threepwood

Return to General research queries