Moderator Control Panel ]

content of May2012 issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

content of May2012 issue

Postby junehathotmail.co.uk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:46 pm

I was expecting to find Worcestershire Bonus Content in this issue. I am very disappointed it is not there.
When will it be available?
juneh
junehathotmail.co.uk

Re: content of May2012 issue

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi June,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're disappointed by the change to this issue's Around Britain feature. We will still be running the Worcestershire bonus content, just slightly later in the year – it’s now due for issue 63 (the August 2012 issue).

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 am

Matt,

Sorry, your answer is not good enough, this was blattant false advertising. You have a duty to readers like June and myself, to follow through on your promises/adverts. From your reply, it seems the data is available, so what excuse do you have for not adding it to the web content immediately?

Mick Loney
Ex-Subscriber
Mick Loney

Postby Editor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:47 am

Hi Mick,

The Worcestershire record office informed us that they would be moving and they asked if we could delay our Worcestershire piece until they were in situ in their new lovely new venue ready to receive visitors. Considering they are supplying us with some of the material for the bonus content, it seemed not only churlish to ignore their request, but not beneficial to readers to feature a county and then say 'but the record office is currently closed'. We will feature it in our August issue.

On another note, this is not the first time we have had to move a feature at the last minute. There is always a good reason for this and, although I realise that it inconveniences some readers, it is always beyond our control. Sometimes a TV series that we were hoping to feature moves at the last minute, sometimes a contributor falls sick and cannot submit their copy. Whatever the reason, we are not trying to lure people in with 'false advertising'. We would have much preferred to say 'Lincolnshire' on our next issue page and alerted those interested in Lincolnshire.

Regards,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby tricky reasearcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Whilst I like other readers was very disappointed to find that the Worcestershire records were not included - my current area of research - I was pleased to see the Lincolnshire records as my family also lived there. I can verify that the Worcestershire family records office is closed for a couple of months. however I am looking forward to new premises and more records available.
tricky reasearcher

Postby pre1837 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Like most things. When they change ownership, they just go down hill. To me, the mags just got to a stage where it just reports old TV shows, over and over again.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am

Hi pre1837,

I'm sorry to hear that you think that magazine has gone downhill – I'd like to assure you, though, that it's still produced by exactly the same team as before the change in company name. If you think there is new feature content that we're missing, though, do let us know as we're always interested to consider different ideas.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby ritah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm not sure which version of the WDYTYA issue for May that pre1837 is reading but the only reference to tv programmes that I can find is page 92 and only a small part of that refers to repeat programmes which in any event could be a first time viewing for some people. Hardly repeating things over and over again I think.

Keep up the good work Matt and all the team.

Rita
ritah

Postby Editor » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks Rita, much appreciated! We are all currently working hard to get the June issue out (it goes to press tomorrow) and I can assure you that the content is all as advertised.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby MartinJ1952 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:17 pm

I disagree that the magazine has gone downhill since the ownership change, there have been some interesting subjects, including the one this month on early Police Records, which I found a fascinating read.

I too am looking forward to visiting the new records office in Worcester so the item on Worcestershire records in August will be worth waiting for.
Martin
MartinJ1952

Next

Return to Magazine chat