Moderator Control Panel ]

Eliza Farmer b.1844 Brecknock + brother George Farmer b.1856

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Eliza Farmer b.1844 Brecknock + brother George Farmer b.1856

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:20 pm

I have been hitting my head against these particular brick walls for months and could maybe do with a fresh brain to help me.
My 4xGreat Grandfather, Benjamin Farmer, a saddler born 1816ish in Brecon had at least 9 children:-

Unnamed Farmer b.1837 Trevethin, Wales d.1837
Thomas Farmer b.1837 Trevethin, Wales d.1925 Adelaide, Australia
Ann Farmer b.1839 Trevethin, Wales d.1881 Newport, Wales
Margaret Farmer b.1842 Brecknock, Wales m. William Llewellin Morgan d.1870 (probably - need to purchase certificate to be sure)
Eliza Farmer b.1844 Brecknock, Wales
Benjamin Farmer b.1848 Bronllys, Wales d.1879 Cardiff, Wales
John Farmer b.1851 Brecon, Wales
William Farmer b.1853 Brecon, Wales d.1888 Newport, Wales
George Farmer b.1856 Brecon, Wales

Benjamin himself died in Newport, Wales in 1897. The sons all seem to follow in the family trade (on and off at least) as Saddlers / Harness Makers.
My particular problems are with Eliza and George but i also can't find a death for my 3xGreat Grandfather John. John tended to move about a bit in the censuses and despite being listed as dead on both his son's marriage certificate in 1899 and his wife's 2nd marriage in 1900 he seems to appear in the 1911 census alive and well in Cardiff but despite ordering some logical Death Certificates they don't appear to my John's death (all have the wrong trade).
I have definately got Eliza in the 1851 and 1861 census and a likely possibility for her as a servant to the Lewis's in Bridgend in the 1871 census - but after that she seems to vanish - i have searched for marriages and deaths and the censuses to no avail.
I have definately found George in 1861 and 1871 and have found a naval record for him in 1876 but he seems to have bought himself out pretty quickly. I definately have him 1891 lodging in Newport as a Saddler, and then in 1901 and 1911 i have a possibility for him though he seems to have worked at a colliery and then become a mason (the birth dates seem wrong too) both in glamorganshire - i can't find him in 1881 or death for him. It seems he may not have married...
If anyone can confirm or disprove my "probable" census findings and/or help me find them in other censuses or possible deaths/marriages for them then i'd be eternally grateful.
Guybrush Threepwood

Re: Eliza Farmer b.1844 Brecknock + brother George Farmer b.

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:50 pm

I guess no one has any fresh ideas that might help me :(
Guybrush Threepwood

Postby ColinB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:52 am

I've been trying to work my way through this but I've not been very
successful ! I cannot find George Farmer on the 1881 Census. I
think I found his birth reg :
George FARMER J-M 1857 Brecknock, Breconshire,Powys 11b 101
There doesn't seem to be another birth that fits which might
indicate that the 1901 and 1911 Census records are right even
though the occupations seem wrong. I found the Probate record
for his father , Benjamin ,in 1897, and there is no mention of George there,
Probate being to the Assistant Overseer , George Beeston, and to
John Farmer.

As you said , John Famer moved around and I didn't find him in 1901.
I noticed that he said he was a widower on the 1911 record in Cardiff
so it would seem he was estranged from the family and may well have
been considered dead by them. I expect you have ruled out this death
record for him ? -

John FARMER J-M 1917 Newport, Mon 11a 340

I'll try to look a little more later.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Cheers for looking Colin - it really is a mystery. I have all their birth certificates so i know the years i quoted for their births are spot on - George was december so that would be his registration in 1857. I have his father's will and he doesn't mention him at all - only John and his grandchildren - which made me think he must have died before Benjamin's died, but with the censuses it makes me think otherwise.
I'm pretty certain that John was estranged going on the evidence presented and that they considered him dead (it happened again when my Grandfather married in 1947 - he said my great grandfather was dead, but by the time he married again in 1949 he had made up with his dad and he was suddenly no longer listed as deceased...) but its just the Death thats vexing me. The certificate for the 1917 was for a John Farmer "Steel Works Watchman" which at first glance doesnt seem to fit, but i suppose could be possible. The only thing that makes me doubt its him is that the informant is "Wm Boucher" present at the death and living at "The Grove, Wantage, Berkshire" - i have never come across this man and attempts to link a William Boucher to my John have failed for me so far (i did wonder if he might have married Elizabeth...). By the way - regarding 1901 - i did wonder if John might have been in the Boer War like one of his cousins was, but haven't found any evidence that he was.
All the best
Wayne
Guybrush Threepwood

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Further to the certificate - i just had a quick look at 1901 again and there is a John Farmer in Newport "Watchman at Steel Works" who was born in Oxfordshire so it must be his death certificate i have :(
Guybrush Threepwood

Return to General research queries