Moderator Control Panel ]

April issue – what do you think?

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

April issue – what do you think?

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope that you're all well!

The April issue is in the shops now. As well as five bonus gifts, there's a look at getting the most from Familysearch.org, a set of free Hertfordshire resources and expert tips on exploring the US census.

But we want to know what you think: are you enjoying the issue? Which features are your favourites? Is there anything we could do better? Let us know here, or drop me a line at matt.elton@immediate.co.uk.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: April issue – what do you think?

Postby ColinB » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:59 pm

My copy arrived this morning. What a good feature on the familysearch website !
I thought I knew my way around it quite well but this certainly opened my eyes.
Very interesting articles on the US census and Websites for Wills and Probate too.

Thanks !

Colin
ColinB

Postby phsvm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:36 pm

My copy arrived yesterday and I've just had a quite browse through it before 'tucking in'. The first article to catch my eye which stopped my quite flick through was the "Gem from the archive" about the Kinderstansport.

Having been watching the current series of 'Upstairs, downstairs' (not a patch on Downton but a pleasant way to fill a Sunday evening) this article seemed particularly apposite.

What the article didn't say and what I'd like to know, and I'm sure others would as well is what hppened to Julius Blumenthal? Does anyone know?
phsvm

Postby callbrian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:35 am

Hi
Very interesting to read the article about the familysearch website, as Colin has said in his post, there are several things I hadn't used or realised existed.
I have recently become one of the 'indexers' for familysearch and have realised what a difficult task it is to transcribe census returns. I have also realised that even using an 'A', 'B' indexing system and variances being checked by an 'arbiter', it is open to conjecture.
I believe one of the problems in transcribing places, is the indexer or arbiter, if indexing from outside the designated country doesn't recognise misspellings or phonetic spellings and they go unchanged.
In saying this, I believe they do a very good job and of course it is mainly free.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:48 am

Hi again,
Interesting to read Trevor Scott's letter re 'A cuckoo's child' and Sarah's reply.
Women did take on anothers children, I believe this could be seen on census returns as a 'Nurse child', although I maybe mistaken.
It did bring to mind the other side of this.The case of Amelia Dyer who took in children for cash and then disposed of them.
Amelia Dyer 'Angel Maker' by Alison Rattle and an episode of Martina Cole's series 'Lady Killers'.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 am

Hi everyone,

Great to hear your thoughts on the issue; please do keep them coming.

phsvm – I wrote the Gem from the Archive piece on the Kindertransport and also spotted the accidental crossover with Upstairs Downstairs. I'd like to claim some faintly impressive feat of editorial planning, but this is just one of those unintentional coincidences. Julius Blumenthal, meanwhile, is alive and well, and agreed to have his card featured in the magazine.
Matt Elton

Postby RichardMcWilliams » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I am about to read the April issue but is it because it is a special that the price has gone up 20%.
March issue was also a special but no price increase with a CD. Don't get me wrong it is still good value
RichardMcWilliams

Postby mesue » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Once again, a great magazine. There's always something pertinent to my research. I must admit I am already missing the CDs though, as I prefer just to pop one in as I want it, not put more data on my already over-burdened lap-top. I'm not great at finding files etc ( being a silver-surfer, learning comes a bit harder!) and so the CDs were nice.
Familysearch IS a great site, I use it quite a bit, but it should be made clear that for the most information you need the originals, which can still cost a lot. I have a sub. with Ancestry.co.uk so don't want to fork out to other sites. Not all of us trying to research our forefathers have sufficient funds. More info. on free sites/access to records is ALWAYS appreciated.
Couldn't get to the Live show, so nice to see we can get the experts on this site, but how about transcripts of salient points?
Thanks for all your hard work on the mag, too! :)
mesue

Postby Sylcec » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:42 am

I haven't received my April issue yet, but looking forward to reading the FamilySearch article. While not an LDS church member, I have been a community volunteer for more than 15 years at my local Family History Centre. In response to "mesue" who stresses the need for original images, you may be interested to know that it is the intention of the LDS to digitise all the microfilms held in their vault at Salt Lake City. However, they cannot do this willy nilly but need permission of the original owners of the filmed data. Understandably some such organisations prefer to get the benefit of contract payments from such as Ancestry or FindMyPast, rather than allowing the LDS to upload the images for free on FamilySearch.

Nevertheless, there are a substantial number of image sets which are freely available on FamilySearch - not all have been indexed, many are available to browse only. You can find these by scrolling to "Browse by Location" and clicking on, e.g. British Isles, then scrolling down to see which sets have a camera icon and the words "browse images".
(I apologise if I have restated information from the article which I do not yet have to hand.)
Cheers
Sylvia (in Sydney)
Sylcec

Postby nonalaw2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 am

I can't comment on the April issue having just today received it today, although I look forward to reading tonight. My comment relates to the March magazine which I have yet to receive. Yes I am in the Southern hemisphere, but do not expect any subscription to take such an excessive period of time to arrive in my letterbox. I have emailed Matt, having been invited too last year when I had similar problems - but I have received no reply. I was keen to get the March one with it's focus on military ancestors. Has anyone else missed their March magazine?
nonalaw2

Next

Return to Magazine chat