Moderator Control Panel ]

Problems renewing subscription

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Problems renewing subscription

Postby clarksclerks » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

I am an overseas subscriber and I recently recieved a letter asking me to renew and directing me to the website www.buysubscriptions.com/renew At this web site, in order to renew I am required to set up an account, which is fair enough, but to do so I have to enter an account number. However, I do not appear to have an account number anywhere on the letter or on the magazine post label. All I have is a subscriber number, the one starting WHODO. I have tried entering this but the system won't accept it. I did post an email on the queries page but no one has had the decency to reply.

I am not happy. I never had this problem when subs were handled by the BBC. What do I have to do to get an account number so I can renew on line?

Thank you
Eileen
clarksclerks

Re: Problems renewing subscription

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for your message – I'm really sorry to hear that you've had problems with our subscriptions department. I'll look into what's happening now, and get back to you as soon as I know more.

All the best, and apologies again,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 am

Hi again,

Right, I've just had a chat with someone from our subscriptions department and they say that the reference starting with WHOD is definitely the right one. Apparently there should be five or six digits after those initial letters - have you tried it without the extra 'O' (on 'WHODO')?

If you're still having problems, please do let me know and I'll do some further investigating. Alternatively, you can contact them direclty on bbc@servicehelpline.com.

Apologies again for all the problems. Do keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby ColinB » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Sorry to butt in . It's WHOD0 not WHODO , the number 0 not capital O.
I only know because I had problems entering my own number.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Don't apologise, Colin, that's a good point!
Matt Elton

Postby Sylcec » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:54 am

I also had problems - the website wouldn't accept the code - so gave up and put a credit card authorisation in the mail to the UK to renew - shall just hope it was received.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby clarksclerks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks for your help, everyone. Colin, you are right, if I look very closely the digit after D is a zero not an letter O. When I entered this I got a different message. Whereas previously they didn't recognise the account number, now they don't recognise me as a subscriber! Matt, I will email the address you gave me and I will probably take the snail mail option like Sylvia. It's good to know I'm not the only person having problems.
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby clarksclerks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 am

I'm sorry to say this dismal saga drags on. The email address from Matt was not quite correct but I found an address in the front of the magazine and used that, and did get a reply acknowledging that I was a subscriber. However, when I tried once again to renew on their very confusing web site, it would not accept my details because I did not have a 'valid' (by which I presume they mean British) postcode, and hence I could not proceed to the payment screen.

I have renewed many overseas subscriptions over the years and cannot believe how bad this system is. I have wasted so much time with it. In future it will be snail mail right from the start.

Eileen :cry:
clarksclerks

Postby agalligan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am

I've had a couple of attempts to create an account on http://www.buysubscriptions.com/renew on different days and keep receiving error messages. I sent a message via the website contact us but so far no reply. So I have conceded defeat & am mailing my renewal from Australia. Please fix for future renewals.
agalligan

Postby Editor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Thank you for your comments, I'm sorry that you have been having difficulties with subscriptions. I've forwarded this all on to the relevant people and hopefully something will be sorted. We don't want to make it difficult to renew your subscription!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat