Moderator Control Panel ]

No more Cover CD's - not happy!

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

No more Cover CD's - not happy!

Postby Dagwood » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:25 am

I think it a crying shame there are not going to be any more cover CD's. Call me a luddite but I think the joy of finding a new relative in a new area and knowing you have a cd sitting there that might just have relevant information is so much more satisfying than thinking " where was it I saw something about ...." and having to search the internet or a download file.
I'll give it a try.... I really don't have a choice as a subscriber...but I may be cancelling my subscription soon. Please think again!
Dagwood
Dagwood

Re: No more Cover CD's - not happy!

Postby Editor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Dear Dagwood, we are keen to make sure that the quality of our disc content will be just as good online. You should be able to download all of the content at the click of a button. I hope you give the website a try and see what you think.

Thank you,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby ColinB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm quite glad that there are to be no more CDS. I've yet to find anything significant
to my research on any of them and I always feel quite guilty throwing them away
every month. However I know that there are probably many members , like Dagwood ,
who disagree and I was rather surprised that this seemed to be sprung on us without
warning. Unless I missed something in an earlier issue ,it seems that this was announced
via Sarah's post , stating that the content was on the website , before we received the
March issue giving the details.

Given that this has already happened with other family history magazines It was only
a matter of time before WDYTYA followed suit !

Colin
ColinB

Postby callbrian » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi,
mixed feelings on this, I keep mine and occasionally refer back to any that relate to my research areas.
I did stop buying one particular magazine, when they stopped issuing a 'cover CD'. That is the reason I started buying WDTYA? in the first place.
I have passed on CD's to others when it relates to their particular areas,I suppose charity shops will take any that are not required (as with free CD's from newspapers).
OK to download from the internet if you have broadband, hopeless if you are still on 'dial up'.

How long will the information be kept online and available to view?

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby bjvinten » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm quite happy about 'No more Cover CDs'. We readers were asked for our views about this some time ago and there were some replies on the Lettersa pages so it shouldn't be a great surprise that this is happening.
Barrie V
bjvinten

Postby cfuller » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 am

I agree with Brian here, I am quite half hearted on this issue as it would still be great to have a cd which will make cross referencing about certain topics easier rather than having them downloaded that will take some time of. But in any case, more media are distributed online, so this is also a good way to go forward, at least in terms of keeping up with the technology at bay.
cfuller

Postby Editor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:16 am

At the moment the plan is to keep the content online for three months, but, because we ask for a code, rather than just let anybody get hold of the content, we may be able to keep it up for longer. Please try it out because I need to know that it all works for everyone so that we have a chance to make any tweaks if necessary. If you've got a fast broadband, the easiest thing is probably to download all the content at the beginning, but if you don't, then you can browse through the content and just select the material that might be relevant to your research.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 pm

I registered my views on the free CD's a long while ago in the magazine and am really disappointed that there will be no more. I know people who do not have a computer, but they can, with the help of a librarian, access them on library computers. Most of them take them to their local charity shop. I have only recently had Broadband and there are those still on a dial-up connection and who are not and never will be, computer literate.
I have getting on for 200 of these CD's and it is fabulous to be able to view them at home. I shall not be buying online as I need to give my custom to our local shop to save it from closing.
So PLEASE think again about supplying the CD's as they are often an invaluable help to the home researcher.
KayFarndon

Postby BrianC48 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 pm

I am also disappointed that there will be no further Cover CD's.

I have just tried to download one topic (about 3mb) from the website and my laptop (Windows 7) could not handle it and aborted the download after about 4 minutes, therefore, even if I wanted to download every thing that would normally be found on the CD my computer apparently can't handle it!

I like other members prefer to have a CD that can be referred to as and when you choose to, and not have to download vast amounts of data (if it was possible to do) and then try to find what I am looking for.
BrianC48

Postby Editor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Do please email me (or PM me by clicking the little box with a character on it below my details to the left) if you have any problems downloading the content. We are trying to make it as user-friendly as possible and there may be fixes to your difficulties. We need to know what the issues are now so we can sort out any problems before the April issue goes out without a disc. If people have a difficulty downloading the bonus content, it would really help if they could describe exactly what the problem is i.e. what page they were on, what they were trying to download, what sort of computer they have etc.

Thanks,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Magazine chat