Moderator Control Panel ]

No more Cover CD's - not happy!

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: No more Cover CD's - not happy!

Postby MartinJ1952 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:27 pm

I have no problem moving to downloading the info, was being to wonder I would store all the disks I already have!!!

I have had problems with the disks in the past where they have failed to run or some items fail to open, so downloading the information is a great step forward.

I am lucky that my ISP provides me with a 30 mbps dpwnload speed so when I tested the download for this months provision, it took less than a minute. I appreciate that not all people are that fortunate and are still on low speed broadband or dialup in some cases. I would suggest that they check around to see if an alternative provider can provide a better deal, although in some more rural locations that won't always be possible as the speed depends on distance from the local BT exchange.

Perhaps if they are subscribers perhaps the disks could still be kept for those who still wish to receive them.

Martin
Martin
MartinJ1952

Postby BrianC48 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Martin

If you live in an area that has poor broadband cover you will find that downloading anything of size over the internet is nigh on impossible!

I live in a rural village in north Lincolnshire and not too long ago (covered by Look North news) a business man a few miles away attempted to download a reasonable sized item (and like myself I understand he was connected to national ISP with a broadband package of up to 8mb. To highlight the broadband problem a carrier pidgeon would race the broadband download form south Yorkshire to Skegness about 60 miles away. Both the pidgeon and the broadband download started at the same time, the pidgeon arrived at Skegness several hours before the package, and I believe the download "timed out"

Even taking your comments onboard about shopping around for a better broadband service does not change the infrastrucure that is used ie it still goes through the national providers local telephone exchanges. So it looks as if me and may be others will miss out on the loss of the Cover CD's

Regards

Brian C
BrianC48

Postby hlowe2010 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 am

I find logging on to this message board a pain (never seems to remember my details), let alone having to do so every month to download CD content from now on.
The issue I have with stopping the CD's is, you never know when or where your research will lead you. It may be a year or 2, or even longer, before a CD will be of any use to you.
At least the other magazine that stopped issuing CD's keeps the information on-line for a year, I think. You say it will only be available for 3 months. This is absolutely no good.
I don't want to have to spend loads of time downloading info every month "just in case" I need it in the future, and cluttering up my computer.
Looking at a CD is so much easier, quicker, and it's future proof.

regards
HL
hlowe2010

Postby Emmeline » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:02 pm

I agree with hlowe2010. A couple of times I have found ancestors in unexpected areas and have dug out the appropriate CD. I don't really want to have to download information which I may or may not need plus if something happens to the computer, you've lost that info.
Also, what's to stop anyone just going into a shop and looking at the code in the magazine without buying it and going home to download the information?
I'm really disappointed that I won't be receiving anymore CDs.
Emmeline

Postby meekhcs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi
I live in the same part of the world as BrianC48. I haven't even attempted the download. It's as much as I can do to get the internet to work sometimes the broadband speed is so slow here because of problems with the infrastructure. So I, for one, will be sorry to see the disc disappear.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ibandcb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 pm

3 months on the website is not ong enough! With the CDs you can refer back to them years later when your discoveries suddenly lead you to a different county; you can't download everything from the website before it gets removed, just on the off-chance that you may need it sometime! If it's going on the website, really it needs to stay there.
ibandcb

Postby MartinJ1952 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 am

Brian

I am with you on this, the magazine needs to reconsider it position on the CD's, otherwise it risks alienating a good proportion of its readership. As I said in my previous post why not continue to supply CD's to its subscribers if they chose to receive it this way.

I am afraid too many organisations are going down this route of download only without due consideration for its customers who live in areas with poor quality broadband access.
Martin
MartinJ1952

Postby Brian1964 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Having received my latest issue of WDYTYA, without the CD on the cover, it was no surprise this was not going to last like all the family history mags they have done the same, but I do not think this was an issue of having extra data available of which this month on Herts. seemed a bit weak on content like having most of the data taken by WW1 lists and not local history covering all the area of Hertfordshire.
But on the outside I would say this was just a cut back by the company to save money and the magazine at £5.99 an issue I would say is that I'm correct
Brian1964

Postby battling » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 pm

I think that the majority of people responding on this subject agree that the removal of the CD is not a good move. I know that there is sure to be a time in the future when a new area of research will appear and the ability to download the CD content will have gone. Downloading "just in case" is not an option as storage space is often limited. Of course I could burn my own CD using the downloaded material but that will not provide the user interface we are used to which gives easy links to the different topics with a brief description of the contents. Plus it is an added cost which in these economic times we can all do with out.
battling

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:29 pm

I am extremely unhappy with the decision, which to my mind was an executive decision by the magazine, without taking readers into consideration at all.

I have just downloaded Issue 58, which at 150Mbyte took me over 30 minutes on my slow broadband. What it would take someone on dial-up speeds, I dread to think. How the magazine think this is benefiting readers I do not know, especially when you consider that they haven't even reduced the cost of the magazine to compensate. To add insult to injury, they have even put a time limit on the download, sorry bad move. CD'd do not have a time limit so why should downloads?

Unlike one of your previous responders, I do not dispose of cover CD's just because content seems irrelevant. One is not clairvoyant, and for someone to say 'all my ancestors all come from London, so a Lancashire CD is no good' is either a beginner or a fool.

I too will also be cancelling my subscription. Without your cover CD, you have lost your major selling point, as we can get other magazines without a CD that are a lot cheaper.

Mike Loney
Mick Loney

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine chat