Moderator Control Panel ]

Primitive Methodist Church

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Primitive Methodist Church

Postby clarksclerks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 am

I've just received the January 2012 issue and was fascinated by the reader's story that explained the Primitive Methodist Church. One of my forebears, the Rev. Matthew FOGGON, was a minister in this church in Queensland. He was born in Co. Durham in 1852, spent some time in South Africa and was appointed to the church in Ipswich, Qld in 1882. For the next several years he and his wife Sarah and their growing number of children were moved around the remoter parts of Qld, never in one place for more than a couple of years. In 1886 he was fined ten pounds in Charters Towers for conducting a church service outdoors, which led to a spirited letter in his defence from one of his followers. In 1894 he had a long letter published in the Brisbane Courier, defending the right of the working man to a decent wage. By 1895 he had been appointed to a position in Brisbane, and he retained his ministry when the Primitive Methodist Church in Australia rejoined the mainstream Methodists. He continued serving the church in Brisbane until his death in 1936. Given his compassion and the Methodist concern for workers, I'm rather glad that he was not alive in the 1950s when one of his sons, Beecher, acted as an employers' representative in one of the most bitter industrial disputes in Australia involving waterside workers.

Best wishes
Eileen
clarksclerks

Re: Primitive Methodist Church

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:22 pm

I too was fascinated by the article on the Primitive Methodist Church - and astounded to suddenly see mention of my partner Zoe Clark's 3x Great Grandfather, Thomas Russell! I had to re-read the article just to make sure. Zoe is lucky enough to have a few heirloom's in her family, one of which is her Great Grandmother Wilhelmina Fulton Hobson's Photo Album. This photo album contains many old photos of Thomas Russell and his descendants (including some of the following). It even includes a portrait of a Reverend W Williams of Abingdon "who showed" Thomas "kindness".
We recently managed to acquire an 1892 copy of Thomas Russell's autobiography, and while it is a bit sparse on family information, it does give an amazing detailed account of his life, including the sham of a trial and his experiences of 3 months hard labour in the prison (including having to be on "The Wheel").
Thomas's daughter Elizabeth Russell (Zoe's 2xGreat Grandmother) went with him to Ireland, and there she met and married William Hobson. William was a Quaker who seems rather similar to Thomas, and indeed he had a book written about his life too entitled "Quaker Warrior" (we would love to track down an original copy of this). It would seem that William was related to Bulmer Hobson, who according to wikipedia was a leading member of the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB) before the Easter Rising in 1916, and one of William and Elizabeth's sons was Samuel George Hobson - a founder member of the Independent Labour Party (ILP).
Thomas Russell also had a daughter called Hannah who married a Henry James Talbot Crosby and they moved to Queensland (coincidentally to a place called Dalby which is about 4 hours outside Brisbane today and coincidentally where my daughter lives). Eileen, i wonder if they knew your ancestor as i know they had dealings around Brisbane and one moved to Toowoomba.
Wayne
Guybrush Threepwood

Postby clarksclerks » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 am

Hi Wayne
Yes, it's interesting how much of a 'small world' it is when you start tracking back in time. The Rev. Foggon was in Bundaberg in 1892, not all that far from Dalby, and got his first Brisbane posting in 1895. It is his wife Sarah who is related to me, half sister of my great grandmother, and that side of the family was Irish (Co. Cavan) but loyal to the British. The Rev. Foggon made an address to the Loyal Orange Lodge in Brisbane in 1895 warning of the dangers of 'Popism', and Sarah's stepmother, two half brothers,their families and some cousins had to flee Ireland some time in the period 1916-1920.

I don't know if you have seen the free Australian National Library 'Trove' site, which has digitised newspapers from many parts of Australia including Qld. There are many stories about the activities of church ministers and their families, and it makes fascinating reading.

Best wishes
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi Eileen,
I see that we've been published.... what a lovely surprise i got when i opened this months magazine :)
I forgot to ask you about your forum name "Clarksclerks" seemed very coincidental that my partner Zoe is a Clark. Also Thomas Russell was in Durham for a short while - we have been trying to trace "Ann Russell" a daughter he mentions as having a business with her husband in Durham, but i have found no trace.
All the best
Wayne
Guybrush Threepwood

Postby clarksclerks » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Dear Wayne

Because I am in Australia I haven't yet seen the March issue, so I am now more eager to receive it than ever!

My user name comes from my business name. I am a Clark by marriage and I run a small editing business, so the name seemed appropriate and was one that was not already registered as a business. I have tried researching my husband's family but found it very hard because there are so many Clarks around.

Best wishes
Eileen
clarksclerks

Return to Magazine chat