Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here
Post a reply

John Weston Vet Surg, L.T.C.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:05 pm

I recently found a newspaper article mentioning a possible ancestor from 1856, serving in the Crimea War.

I would find more information on this person to confirm or not his link to me. I have a John Weston who was a Vet in the 1851 and 1861 census, but no mention of a military record.

Thanks

Andy
Last edited by andrewweston on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: John Weston Vet Surg, L.T.C.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Have you looked in the Army Lists as some of them have biographical details. As he may have been an officer his records may be at The National Archives (TNA)at Kew in series WO 25 and WO 76 (not on line) which are less detailed than non-officers which are online at TNA. Have you contacted the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in London as they hold records of some veterinary surgeons. It may be that he did not serve long enough (about 7 years) for a pension so a service record did not exist, but a service record of sorts can be obtained from the Army Lists and perhaps also the National Army Museum.
Post a reply