Moderator Control Panel ]

Censors, Bermuda, World War 2

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Censors, Bermuda, World War 2

Postby clarksclerks » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:13 am

Is it possible for you to do a story about the people who worked in Bermuda as censors during World War 2? I discovered that one of my ancestors, Matthew Rountree FOGGON (b. Queensland 1905) worked in this role and I have no idea how he got selected for it, except that he was an expert in modern languages. He left Bermuda by flying boat for New York in 1943, and thence sailed for Liverpool, UK, on the 'Port Alma' with several other Bermuda civil servants. More recently I found another relative, Doris Kathleen FORSYTHE (b. Dublin, 1911) was also in Bermuda as a civil servant during WW2, and was evacuated with others on board the USS General A E Anderson in 1944. I have found no records subsequently for either person, and I wonder whether they even knew each other in Bermuda or realised they were related .

This seems to be a little-known part of the war effort, and I'd love to know more about it.

Thank you
Eileen Clark
clarksclerks

Re: Censors, Bermuda, World War 2

Postby Matt Elton » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Eileen,

What an interesting discovery! It's certainly a story that I've not heard much about elsewhere, so I'll make sure Sarah sees your post. And keep us updated if you find anything else out...

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby AngieT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:26 am

I have also become interested in this subject since receiving an Ancestry message yesterday from a journalist on a Bermudan newspaper. She is contacting people who have a lady called Margaret Stapleton in their family tree & I am one of those persons.
Margaret is only distantly related, 11th cousin 5 x removed, but it appears that she was sent to Bermuda during World War 2 to be a censor for the British Government & in 1941 she was raped & murdered by a soldier on the island (the facts of the murder being of interest in themselves).
This journalist is writing a book about the British Censorship Department in Bermuda & she wants to contact any surviving close relatives of Margaret Alianora Stapleton (who was the spinster daughter of a clergyman & the great, great grandaughter of a Baronet). This has piqued my interest in a subject I was totally unaware of. Censorship was carried out by the British in Bermuda in an effort to uncover communications sent between Europe & North America via Bermuda to evade detection. These communications may have been plotting acts of war.
In order for people to be sent from Britain & the Colonies to work in this Department it appears to have been an important part of the war effort that may be of interest to research for an article.

Angie Tough, Yorkshire
AngieT

Postby clarksclerks » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 am

How interesting, Angie! If the journalist contacts you again when the book is published, could you post a message here, please?

Best wishes
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby AngieT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:14 pm

I most certainly will Eileen,

Angie
AngieT

Postby AngieT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Eileen - I've sent you a pm regarding this subject.

Angie
AngieT

Postby delcorso » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Has a book or article been written since these original posts? I am trying to learn more about my father's time as an "Examiner" with the Imperial Censorship office in Bermuda.
delcorso

Postby Somersheen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:35 pm

I have recently discovered that my mother, Jean MacLeod (as she was then) worked for MC5 British Censorship Department when it was based in the Littlewoods Pools Building in Liverpool, but left when it relocated to Bermuda (joining the Women's Land Army) as she was very young and felt there was a real possibility she might never be able to return to her family. She said very little about it during her lifetime when I was child, but I do recall her saying everyone she worked with "in Liverpool" had a pseudonym and were not called by their real names. I wonder if anyone else remembered this or can add any information?
Somersheen

Return to Magazine chat