Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding WW2 records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Finding WW2 records

Postby dragon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi
I'm trying to find my husbands fathers militry service records. I realise that if you are family you can get them. Problem is he never spoke about his service. The reson was only that his family and he where not intrestead in it. He and most of the family are dead so there is no one to ask.
What we do know is:
He was born in 1903 in Derbyshire
He was married at the time of his call up and living in Burton on Trent Staffs.
He was on the Ack Ack
and possible served in Africa.
We do know from a story he did tell that he was out of England at some point.

Has anyone any idea how I go about finding out who he served with?

My husband has one living brother but he doesn't know either and there is no one else alive to ask.
dragon

Re: Finding WW2 records

Postby ColinB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi,

I think you may be able to find the record without the details , but you may have to
wait longer. Go to http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_rec ... cords.html
and follow the links to access forms to apply for the record of a deceased serviceman
as next of kin. The MOD search document says that full names are mandatory and
service number AND/OR date of birth. The rest of the form is filled in as you are able.
The less info you give the longer the search is likely to take. The fee is £30. I would
warn you that you may find the record less informative than you expect. In my case
my Grandfather's WW1 record was full of information , my father's WW2 record was
just a list of dates and places and a comment that his conduct was exemplary - nice
to know but not very informative.

Good luck

Colin
ColinB

Postby r-mum » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Hello
We have sent off for details of my father-in-law's WW2 records. They were sent for in June 2011 and we have been informed that it could take up to a year for the results to be sent to us. They are very busy.
Regards
r-mum

Postby Jill Alexander » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Does the same apply for relatives in civil defence/who were exempt from military service due to ill health. We think my grandfather was in the ARP and assume also that my grandmother was in the WVS or ARP but these records are not easy to come by. As a test I have applied for ma in law's war records knowing full well that she was a salaried ARP warden and at the same address where she now lives yet the response came back that she was never in the ARP. I have her entire wartime file and there are loads of photos and copy documents in it covering her service so if they can be wrong in her case are they also incomplete in many others?
Jill Alexander

Postby daydream » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi I sent for my fathers WW 2 Naval Records, they took about 2 months to arrive but I knew his details ie rank, service no etc. I was very disappointed with the reply it was only a list of the naval bases he had been attached to with dates. There was also a list of the medals he was awarded, but no details of ships or battles he may have been involved in. I know he was involved in special operations and maybe that was why I didn't get more information or maybe they are so busy they are unable to do a thorough search. Good Luck with your search.
daydream

Return to Military help