Moderator Control Panel ]

Army Photo Help Required

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Army Photo Help Required

Postby jwatson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi

Here is a photo of my Great Great grandfather Hubert Oscar Burton. I have made an application to the MOD for his army records but they cannot find them and have asked me if I know his regiment. I have a photo of him but do not know the regiment. I thought he was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery but another family member thinks he was in the Royal Horse Artilery. Can anyone assist with identifying the reigment from the photo ?

Regards
June
Attachments
Hubert2 - Copy (2).jpg
Hubert2 - Copy (2).jpg (83.52 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
jwatson

Re: Army Photo Help Required

Postby wombleuk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello,

your relative is wearing a Royal Artillery Cap badge.

I found a Herbert O Burton RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) in the medal records on Ancestry
Regimental number 176156 although it might be 196156 as there is a bit of a squiggle on the second number.

I cannot find a service record for him on Ancestry so he might be part of the burnt records that were destoryed in 1940 by german bombing.

A look at pension records does not bring anything up either.

It would have been useful to have known his year of birth and where he was from to help narrow down the seach a bit.

David
wombleuk

Postby jwatson » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply. Hubert was born in 1891 in Stanfield, Norfolk and by 1914 he was living in Hull, East Yorkshire.

Regards
June
jwatson

Postby jwatson » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi

Thanks so much, I have now found my soldier through the Absent Voters List for 1918/19 at my local library, I never knew this existed until a very kind chap told me about it but there was my great grandfather and so I now know his army number and regiment so I have given this info to the MOD to ask them to re-search their records.

Regards
Jwatson
jwatson

Postby wombleuk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:14 pm

It was my understanding that The National Archives has all the WW1 military records, and that the MOD only hold records after1921 unless the WW1 soldier carried on in Service beyond WW1. So besure that they are with the MOD as at search fee of £30 a time it could be costly and not necessary

If anyone would like to correct my knowledge please do let me know...

David
wombleuk

Postby jwatson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:24 pm

David

Yes you are correct but as TNA did not have his records I assumed he had signed up to WW2 but it seems he did not and so his records must be amongst the 60% that were lost in the WW2 bombings.

Regards
jwatson

Return to Photo identification