Moderator Control Panel ]

'Driver' in WW1?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

'Driver' in WW1?

Postby Pantgwyn » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 pm

This may be a really stupid query, in which case I'm sorry - I am a novice at military history.

I have found a photograph of my grandmother on which she has written the name of her brother, A[lexander] Hodges, followed by what looks like some sort of military reference or address. It reads as follows:

Driver A. Hodges
M. T. A. S. C. [or the 2nd letter might be a J.]
612 Coy. [or the first number might actually be a C]
Att. P. P. O. S.
Nottingham

Does anyone know what any of this might refer to?! The photograph of my grandmother was taken in 1917, if that helps ... They were Nottingham born and bred. I do know that Alexander was a soldier in the Great War, but do not know in what regiment, and I haven't been able to find any record of him.
Pantgwyn

Re: 'Driver' in WW1?

Postby ColinB » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi,

MTASC is Military Transport Army Service Corps and 612 Coy is 612 Company.
Not sure about Att P.P.O.S. Nottingham , though I think Att is short for attached.
I'm sure someone else will know !

Colin
ColinB

Postby Barry Rees » Thu May 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Further to Colin's answer, it may be worth noting that 'Driver' during WW1 was associated with horses or mules (very few motorised vehicles at the time). The 'Driver' would usually ride the horse / mule pulling a wagon (or in an Artillery section, a field gun).

Kind regards

Barry
Barry Rees

Postby Pantgwyn » Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you very much Colin, Barry - really helpful comments!
Pantgwyn

Return to Military help