Moderator Control Panel ]

Lost certificates

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Lost certificates

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 pm

When I first began family history research I was surprised that people did not seem to have many certificates from older members of their family. Considering that official registration only came in with Queen Victoria and that everyone, regardless of their status in life, had to have a birth, marriage or death certifcate, I would have expected that they would have been so proud of their certificates and taken great care of them.
This does not seem to have been the case and as with my own parents, many would have been lost during the bombings of WW2. I suspect that when people died and their belongiongs sorted out these so important pieces of paper would have just been put on the bonfire.
How much easier for modern day historians if they had all survived. Within my own family a relative's things were all discarded without other family members being asked whether they would like to have any paperwork.
The result is I have spent a lot of money on fresh certificates and am now a hoarder!
KayFarndon

Re: Lost certificates

Postby phsvm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:58 pm

And I do hope you are putting the info you have from these certificates onto the relevant entries on the FreeBMD website. If everyone did this with all the certificates they obtained what a fantastic community project it would be.

We're all happy to make use of these free sites which have taken a lot of people many hours to compile so isn't it appropriate that we show our thanks to them by doing our bit to increase the information available?
phsvm

Re: Lost certificates

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Hello phsvm

What a good idea.

I have just spent two days adding details from all my certificates to FreeBMD's via the "add postem" button. Whilst most of my entries were for farely obscure names, I did enter details for a few Smiths and Whites, and as I was doing so it struck me how few postems had been added by people.

So all you forum readers, if you have some spare time, I would urge you to follow suit. I started each posting with the words "from cert".

Sally
meekhcs

Return to Genealogy chat