Moderator Control Panel ]

Grandfather Royal Marines Light Infantry(RMLI)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Grandfather Royal Marines Light Infantry(RMLI)

Postby mightyquin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:23 am

[size=3]My grandfather Arthur Willie Key served in the Plymouth Division of the RMLI as a Private from 1914 to 1920. I have his original certificate of service which lists what I understand to be ships on which he served. I have searched in all the obvious places but have been unable to find any record of these vessels. The ships in question are 1)the 'Caribbean' from December 1914 to June 1915 and, 2) the 'Victorian' from June 1915 to December 1918. Is anyone able to suggest further avenues of research regarding these two ships, as well as any details of the day to day life on board ship for a member of the RMLI.

Thanks
mightyquin

RE: Grandfather Royal Marines Light Infantry(RMLI)

Postby Mumlee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 am

Hi Mightyquin, I was interested in reading your message. My father was a Child Migrant who was sent to work in Canada and he sailed on the SS Victorian before WW1. I have done some research into the ship which mainly covers pre WW1. Would you be interested?
Mumlee

Postby paulberyl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:33 am

[font="times new roman"][size=3]Mightyquin,[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3][/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]Some details regarding HMS Caribbean below. There is also a brief article on Wikipedia at [/size][/font][link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Dunottar_Castle][font="times new roman"][size=3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Dunottar_Castle[/size][/font][/link]

[font="times new roman"][size=3][b]HMS Caribbean[/b]
The 5,800 ton steamship Dunottar Castle was a Union Castle Line passenger liner before being requisitioned by the Admiralty. She was refitted as an auxilliary cruiser in 1915 and renamed HMS Caribbean. Later, it was decided that she would become a fleet base ship at Scapa Flow, and she sailed to Birkenhead for substantial alterations. She set sail for Scapa Flow on 24 September 1915, but ran north-easterly gales and rough seas at midday on September 26, south of Cape Wrath; and foundered.
After an SOS message was received a number of ships were sent to help, but some were forced to turn back by the sea conditions, and the tug Flying Kestrel never found the Caribbean. Fortunately, the trawlers which were sent from Stornoway in the Hebrides, together with HMS Birkenhead, succeeded in rescuing most of the crew into lifeboats that night.
HMS Caribbean sank early on 27 September, and the 15 crewmen still aboard lost their lives. The Court of Enquiry later blamed the ship's carpenter - who, in common with most of the crew, had joined the ship just 10 days earlier - for failing to shut all the scuttles, and being insufficiently familiar with the ship.[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]Paul[/size][/font]
paulberyl

Postby Mumlee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Mightyquin

I've had chance to dig out the info I have on SS VIctorian now. If you go to: [link=http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/3649/ship-u-z.html]www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/3649/ship-u-z.html[/link] you should get a page on the subject which covers who built her, what she was used for, when she was converted to an armed merchant cruiser etc. Before 1914 she regularly carried Child Migrants to Canada (called Home Children in Canada). I also have a negative photocopy of the newspaper report of her first sailing from Liverpool.
Regards
Mumlee
Mumlee

Postby paulberyl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20 am

Mightyquin,

I also meant to say in my earlier posting that you may be able to find out more about the day to day life in the RMLI from the Royal Marines Museum, Southsea, Hampshire, PO4 9PX
Tel: 023 9281 9385
Fax: 023 9283 8420
E-mail: [email=info@royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk]info@royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk[/email]

Paul
paulberyl

Postby mightyquin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:16 am

Hi Mumlee,

Many thanks for your messages, and for the information, although my primary interest is in the war years, any information about the Victorian will help build a more complete picture. The only information I have managed to find is that after her conversion to an armed merchant cruiser she served with the 9th and later the 10th cruiser squadrons.

Glyn
mightyquin

Postby mightyquin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:33 am

Hi paulberyl,

Many thanks for your message and the information on HMS Caribbean, also your suggestion about contacting the Royal Marines Museum. I shall be contacting them shortly to see what information they can supply me with.

Glyn
mightyquin

Postby colleen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: paulberyl

[font="times new roman"][size=3]Mightyquin,[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]Some details regarding HMS Caribbean below. There is also a brief article on Wikipedia at [/size][/font][link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Dunottar_Castle][font="times new roman"][size=3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Dunottar_Castle[/size][/font][/link]

[font="times new roman"][size=3][b]HMS Caribbean[/b]
The 5,800 ton steamship Dunottar Castle was a Union Castle Line passenger liner before being requisitioned by the Admiralty. She was refitted as an auxilliary cruiser in 1915 and renamed HMS Caribbean. ........[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]Paul, my ancestor was an Engineer aboard the Caribbean sailing out of Liverpool when he was drowned at Jamaica in an accident. Was there another ship of this name because this was 1876.[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]Colleen[/size][/font]
colleen

Postby paulberyl » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:23 pm

Colleen,

Regret that I do not know of a previous ship called the Caribbean. I have looked at the ships connected with Liverpool, and while the list is extensive is cetainly does not list all the ships connected with this major port, and regretably this does not list a ship called the Caribbean.

Sorry I cannot help

Paul
paulberyl

Postby colleen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks Paul. I'll just have to keep on looking!

Colleen
colleen

Next

Return to Military help