Moderator Control Panel ]

British Library Newpaper site

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

British Library Newpaper site

Postby Loish711 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Has anyone used the new site? I have already found a drowning of an ancestor- probably drunk as he owned two pubs in his time! lol I have also found the results of my great granfather's athletics career. :D
Last edited by Loish711 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loish711

Re: British Library Newpaper site

Postby iain Tidey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Just had a quick look. as I suspected its poor OCR work
which will miss out much when searched.
And at the cost they want to charge I would want Better !
iain Tidey

Postby tricky reasearcher » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:49 pm

After a brief look there seems plenty of information to sift through. I think the knack may be to bookmark as many possibilities as you can and then go for a 2 day viewing binge !!!
tricky reasearcher

Postby Sylcec » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:36 am

What is the URL of the website you are referring to?
Sylcec

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 am

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby ksouthall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:18 am

I've had a look and found that a distant relative died when falling from a carriage in 1856.

I also found the death notification for my great-great-great-grandfather who was a Waterloo veteran. The paragraph reads:

ANOTHER WATERLOO VETERAN PASSED AWAY.
On Sunday last William Crawley, a pensioner of nearly eighty years of age, who served in the 15th regiment of Foot in the Peninsular war, died at the Union Infirmary, after suffering some time from a painful disease. It is not much to the credit of the War Authorities that the poor old man should die in the Workhouse and have a pauper's funeral, after serving in India and at Waterloo, and receiving two medals.

He had received a small pension but it doesn't look like it was enough to help him avoid the workhouse.
ksouthall

Postby Loish711 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:40 am

I went for the two day binge and was never off it to use all my credits. Definitely worth the money as it answered some outstanding questions about ancestors deaths. I did find at least 3 pub owners two of whom died young from work related incidents. Great reading.
Loish711

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:50 am

Just spent a bit of time looking at newspaper articles relating to my first cousin 3 times removed, Fred Mander, who was General Secretary of the NUT between 1931 and 1947.

Fred Mander was born in Luton in 1883. By 1915 he was headmaster of a Luton school, where he remained until 1931. Having become involved in the politics of the National Union of Teachers at a local level, he was elected to the NUT executive in 1922. The following year he played a leading role in the well-known Lowestoft strike, when 163 teachers withdrew their labour for eleven months in protest against the local authority's decision to reduce salaries by 10 per cent. The actions of the local education authority received widespread censure, especially when the NUT demonstrated that non-union ‘blackleg’ teachers were sub-standard. The Lowestoft dispute proved to be a landmark case.

I found this an interesting coincidence as the British Librarry Newspaper Archive went live just before a national strike involving teachers and other public servants.
ksouthall

Postby gaffer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Once I got used to it, I loved this new site. I have found so much background information about ancestors, including the fact that one of my husband's family was a dab hand at growing things and was continually winning prizes in local shows, not something I would have known about otherwise. I also discovered a 'for sale' advertisement for the exact time that I thought one of my Standens moved from Sussex to London. Not exactly confirmation but certaonly very interesting.Lots of very interesting and useful facts.
gaffer

Postby ksouthall » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:22 am

ksouthall wrote:I've had a look and found that a distant relative died when falling from a carriage in 1856.

The British Library Newspaper Archive is constantly being updated. I have just found a second report about the fatal accident in Hertfordshire in a different newspaper.

I then found another report entitled "A Remarkable Case of Deception" about the "fatal accident" which proves the story to be a hoax by the victim's brother. This report does not make clear why he made the false claim, other than for possible sympathy and time off work. It does help explain why I had not been able to find a death reference for my distant relative.
ksouthall

Next

Return to Genealogy chat