Moderator Control Panel ]

Welcome to the updated forum

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Welcome to the updated forum

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope that you're all well.

Following some requests in our online survey a couple of months ago, I've spent a couple of hours today rearranging various parts of this forum to make it a bit easier to use. I hope it all makes sense, but please do let me know if there's anything that you're not sure about. This is very much a work in progress, and I'll be happy to add or change things that you think still don't work.

You'll also notice that there's this new 'Family history chat' section. This is a great place to talk about anything family history related that not's covered elsewhere – from introducing yourself to discussing a book that you've read recently.

That's it from me. Over to you...

Cheers,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Welcome to the updated forum

Postby ritah » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Hello Matt

Where do I now find the section which used to be called Tracing Individuals please?

Rita
ritah

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:42 am

Hi Rita,

Thanks for getting in touch! All of the posts that were previously under the 'Tracing Individuals' heading can now be found in the 'Help with your research' section. If people would like posts about specific ancestors in a separate section, though, let me know...

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby ritah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Matt

Many thanks, yes that does make sense, I was in a rush and obviously didn't look carefully enough!

Rita
ritah

Postby meekhcs » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:20 am

Hi Matt

I like the idea of bringing "over to you/help with you research/tracing individuals" together under one heading as it will cut out multiple posts etc. and make it more apparent to newcomers where to post. However, looking through Help with your Research this morning, I realised what a heavy volume of traffic is going to go through this new section, and I wonder if some of the posts are going to get "lost"? Perhaps a subsection could be created to contain posts that do not receive a reply in the first couple of days after they are posted, to make it easier for some of the regular contributors to maybe pick up on them at some later stage, because after a couple of days they may disappear off the first page?
Have a good weekend
Sally
meekhcs

Postby ColinB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi Matt,

I agree with Sally. I think it may prove to be a little difficult to keep track of things when
all the queries are on the one board. Since the Forum was offline a while ago I no longer
receive any Topic Reply Notifications ( or Private Message Notifications ) and have to keep
reading through to find the ones I am following so some kind of subdivision might help.

Colin
ColinB

Postby ksouthall » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Hello Matt,

I also no longer receive Topic Reply notifications.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:30 am

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well and had a good weekend.

The notifications issue is definitely something that I'll look into. In the meantime, the 'View unanswered posts / View unread posts / View new posts' options at the top of the main forum page are a good way to quickly see what's been added and which queries haven't yet been answered. Do you think that might be a good alternative to manually splitting them off into a separate section?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby meekhcs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Matt

Good day to you. Yes I think that would work better than my suggestion. Cheers Sally
meekhcs

Return to Genealogy chat