Moderator Control Panel ]

Defence Medal

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Defence Medal

Postby DavidG » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:27 pm

I've just come into posession of my Grandfathers and G Grandfathers medals from both wars however, one of them has come as a bit of a surprise. My G Grandfather served during WW1 and I have all the supporting documentation for those medals but, he appears to have a Defence Medal from WW2.

I've asked around the family but nobody knows anything about it or how he got it.

He lived in Stepney and Hackney all his life and would have been 47 when the war started.

Is there anywhere that I could look to find out what he did and which service he was with?

Regards

David
DavidG

Re: Defence Medal

Postby callbrian » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi
I would suggest you may need to contact the National Archives or check their web pages.
You could also try the following:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Conta ... uiries.htm
I believe the Defence medal would have been awarded to members of the Home Guard, Auxillary Fire Service, Civil Defence etc.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Margaret Richardson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi,

Just spotted your query in the new magazine which arrived today. As Brian advised it was for the Home Guard, Wardens etc. The ribbon of Green and Red depicts the Green fields of England and the Red of fire.

Given the age of your relative at the start of the second world war I would think that he was in the Home Guard or Air Raid Warden. Perhaps the local records office where he lived might have some more information. I am also sending you a email as well

Regards

Margaret
Margaret Richardson

Postby GeraldL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:53 pm

I can confirm most of what has already been said. The Defence Medal was awarded to all those who served in the UK, including military. It was awarded to the "civilian" services such as the Home Guard. It consists of three colours - orange, green and black stripes - orange depicting the flames of the bombs that fell, green for "this green and pleasant land", and black to represent the blackout. Hope that helps.
Gerald Law
GeraldL

Return to Military help