Moderator Control Panel ]

Walter Maddison. Armed Forces Death India.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Walter Maddison. Armed Forces Death India.

Postby Angel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 am

On findmypast is the following:-
Armed forces registration event - Death
Name. Walter Maddison
Station. Lucknow
Country. Indian Subcontinent
Year. 1894
Page. 189
Age at death. 24
Record Source. GRO Army Death Indices (1881-1955)
My great-uncle, Walter Maddison, born 1870, Westminster, was in the East Surrey Regt. in the 1890s. I know that the East Surreys were in India in the 1890s as I have his brother, Arthur`s, army record, who was also in the East Surreys. Everything points to this record being for my ancestor except for a family story that he emigrated to Australia. I need to find the regiment of this soldier. Does anyone know what Page 189 means, or how I can find any other details. I can find no info. on the GRO web-site.
Thanks. Angel.
Angel

Re: Walter Maddison. Armed Forces Death India.

Postby callbrian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:54 am

Hi Angel,
I believe this could be the W. Maddison you have noted above and is probably not your Walter.
This link relates to a memorial (those who died of a Cholera epidemic in 1894) for the East Lancs reg. and is on the fibis website.
http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps ... 6&s_id=664
I could find no other W. Maddison on the fibis site, although Sylvia may find something, if she picks up the thread.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Angel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Thank-you Brian,
It does look as if this is not my Walter. The reason I thought it would be was that his brother, Arthur, put `Walter Maddison, East Surrey Regt`, and their father down as next of kin in 1891. Their father died in 1894 and in 1896 Arthur put his mother and sister down as next of kin with no mention of brother, Walter who was in the same regiment. I cannot find a military record for Walter on Ancestry or findmypast.
Thanks again. Angel.
Angel

Postby Sylcec » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 pm

I suspect that Brian is correct about the identity of the W Maddison for whom you found a death registration in the Army Death Indexes. However, you will only be sure if you purchase a copy of the death certificate which you can do through the GRO, in the same way that you purchase any other England and Wales birth, marriage or death certificate.

Even if that person is not 'your' Walter Maddison, and even though we have not identified him on any other on-line indexes, that does not exclude the possibility that he died in India. I note you say that there is no WO97 (Chelsea Pension) Service Record for him. This could mean either that he died in service, or that he only signed up for a short period of service, did not renew and left the service without qualifying for a pension, or even did a runner (deserted). "Gone to Australia" is a bit vague - if true then it should be possible to find what happened to him, but more information is needed as b,m,d records are kept on a State by State basis.

Frankly, if you are able to get to Kew, I believe that your best option for tracing what happened to Walter Maddison is to search the pay and muster rolls for the East Surrey's in the 1890s identify and trace his service from there.
Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Angel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi Sylvia,
Thank-you so much for your reply.
The knowledge that you, Brian and others on this forum have, and are willing to share, is fantastic and generous. I would have never found the fibis web site or known that I could trace a man`s army service at Kew.
Thanks again.
Angel

Return to Military help