Moderator Control Panel ]

Where Exactly Is The North West ?

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Where Exactly Is The North West ?

Postby brickmaker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Some years ago, Brian Redhead introduced a local BBC programme looking at which areas constituted the "North West" - these varied considerably depending on whether it was North West Gas; North West Eleectricity; BBC Look North West; etc etc. In all I seem to recall that there were some 20 or so different definitions of "The North West"

One thing they did all have in common was that they all concentrated on the North West Counties - broadly centred on Lancashire.

At no time was Leeds included (see WDYTYA issues 52 and 53 What's On Guide) I am sure no self respecting Yorkshireman would consider himself to be living in The North West as, I'm sure, no Lancastrian would acknowledge that Leeds is part of "God's Own Country" !
brickmaker

Re: Where Exactly Is The North West ?

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi there,

I'll hold my hands up – this is an editing error on my part, which I didn't spot until the issues came back into the office. Apologies. I will make sure that I don't accidentally rearrange the landscape of the United Kingdom in this month's events guide...

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby colliehouse » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:29 am

So are we talking about North West England here then because it certainly isn't North West UK you are both talking about. That would be The Western Isles, North West Sutherland etc.
Once again forgetting that Britain doesn't stop at Hadrians Wall.
colliehouse

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:03 am

Hi colliehouse,

I never mentioned that I wasn't talking about North-West England: we're referring here to the categories listed in our What's On guide, where 'North-West' is used as a shortened version of 'North-West England'. There are also categories for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and as someone with links to two out of three of those places I'm very aware of the importance of covering them all equally.

Apologies again for the error, though. I'll make sure that everything is as it should be in this month's listings.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Return to Magazine chat