Moderator Control Panel ]

Military medal strip/ribbon in photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Military medal strip/ribbon in photo

Postby tracker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Can anyone help identify the medal strip above the pocket in this photo of my great grandfather Henry Parsons. The photo was taken in 1942, he is wearing his BBC commissionaire uniform, the BBC archives say that the medal ribbon would not have been anything to do with his job, although one of his duties would have been air raid warden. He served in the Royal Artillery in WW1 and his medal index card shows he received the Victory and British medals. He would have been 60 when WW2 started, so I'm assuming the medal ribbon was for service in WW1. Were these sort of ribbons issued at the same time as the actual medal, or do they signify something else ??

any help will be appreciated

thanks

Tracker
Attachments
John Henry Parsons 1942 (2).jpg
John Henry Parsons 1942 (2).jpg (237.18 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
tracker

Re: Military medal strip/ribbon in photo

Postby wombleuk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:35 pm

I looks like he has four ribbons in the band, if as you say he was in the Great War you can be fairly sure that two would be the Victory and British medal ribbons.

A search on the internet for those ribbons then compare them. Of course if he stayed on in the army after WW1 maybe he went elsewhere that allows for other campaign medals.

Also don;t take as 100% the medal card, my 2xGF had the military medal but this did not appear on his card, and I have come across many examples of similar missing medals.

a good website to look at is
http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/Britrib/britribb.htm

If at all possible get a much better scan of the ribbions as they are quite hard to make out.

David
Attachments
medals.JPG
Great War Ribbons
medals.JPG (49.84 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
wombleuk

Postby tracker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at that website before, but like you say its difficult to see the ribbons clearly in the photo, and I've not been able to get a better scan

tracker
tracker

Postby wombleuk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Have you checked to see if he has a service record on findmypast> I found a relative who served before 1914 and his records for prior service were there in the Chelsea Arm records which if memory serves go up to 1913 ish. I have found relatives who served in the 1840's this way.

HIs extra ribbons could certainly be prior to 1914 as he would have been 18 in 1900.

I do not have full access but a search says there are

24 Anglo-Boer War records
11 Brisith Army Service Records 1790-1915

hope that helps

David
if you do find out do let us know.
wombleuk

Postby tracker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks David, I did find a service record for him on findmypast a while ago, he joined the Royal Horse & Royal Field Artillery in Feb 1902 as a gunner using the name Henry Joseph Poirson (he was born as Henri Joseph Justin Poirson) but deserted 5 months later on 12 July. He then enlisted in the Royal Garrison Artillery a week later on 19 July as John Henry Parsons. I'm not sure how he got away with this and will try to find out more. Just to add to his character reference, I believe he also commited bigamy, marrying in 1909 as Poirson, and in 1913 as Parsons.

In the RGA he spent 2 years in Malta as a gunner until 1905, and was in the reserves until July 1914. Then in 1916 (maybe conscripted) rejoined RGA. His service record isn't that easy to decipher, but from what I understand of it he was posted to France in 1917, promoted to bombardier, but then in 1918 was back as a gunner for failing to comply with an order and making a false statement to a senior NCO. It says date of offence was 28 November 1918 (when the war was over). He was invalided back to England in December 1919 due to a thrombosis in his left thigh

I'm not sure when or where in his service history he might have earned his extra ribbons, so any help with this would be appreciated

thanks

Tracy
tracker

Postby trudicornforth » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:31 am

Hi
could you help, my great granddad was a bbc commissionaire in the 1940's....what is a bbc commissionaire and what did they do?
You also mentioned the bbc archives....how do you access these?
Any help greatly appreciated, Trude
trudicornforth

Postby tracker » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Trude

It was about 5 years ago that I got the info about my great grandfather from BBC archives via heritage@bbc.co.uk

They were only able to find one record for him as the BBC's wartime staff records are far from complete, but may be you will be luckier with your great grandfather

The commissionaires were uniformed staff responsible for security access to premises, in wartime they had additional duties relating to air raid procedures and first aid

hope this helps

Tracy
tracker

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:13 pm

wombleuk wrote:... my 2xGF had the military medal but this did not appear on his card ...

David

The Military Medal cards are actually separate from the campaign medal cards and are only(?) a/v via The National Archives web-site.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification