Moderator Control Panel ]

identify event and photo of people / any clues

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

identify event and photo of people / any clues

Postby spall » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:58 pm

have a look at this photo, any guesses how old the picture is and which event it is? I think it maybe ve-day but not sure?

this could be in yorkshire - sheffield - but again not sure

I cannot spot anyone on it that i know of, so i wonder why my great gran had it?

Thanks for any help
Attachments
13-10-2013 (600 x 377).jpg
ve-day?
13-10-2013 (600 x 377).jpg (67.68 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
spall

Re: identify event and photo of people / any clues

Postby yumyum46 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:23 pm

I suggest sending it in to a local paper and see if any of the readers remember what the event was or if they have similar pictures.
Thanks
YumYum 46
yumyum46

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:31 am

Hi,

Could it be the Coronation Celebrations in 1953? There were lot's of street parties organised for children at the time, and this looks like there were mainly children seated.

Although your photo caption says VE-Day?, there is a distinct lack of Military uniforms in the photo, which makes me doubt this is the occasion.

Mike
Mick Loney

Postby spall » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:18 pm

I posted this on rootschat, as i didnt have a reply and behold, photo is in the magazine this month!

I think you may have missed the three in uniform in the picture, and was told these were polish soldiers, secondly there is a uk flags flying and also a russian flag?

Someone else pointed out, that the girls at the front are wearing glasses and were from the NHS.
spall

Postby Loish711 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:33 am

I can't say when the photo was taken but the park looks a bit like Crookes Valley Park in Sheffield, taken from the angle of where the bowling green is now over towards Ponderosa. I say this because of the line of trees seem familiar and there looks like railings from the road there too.
If it is Sheffield it would be worth putting it on Sheffield Forum. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk
Loish711

Return to Photo identification