Moderator Control Panel ]

Tracey Emin (12 October)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Tracey Emin (12 October)

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:06 am

Hi everyone,

It's gone hugely quickly, but tonight's episode brings the current series of Who Do You Think You Are? to an end. British artist Tracey Emin's sets out to learn more about her ancestors, uncovering links to London's East End and a travelling community along the way.

Let us know what you think – we'd love to hear from you!

Cheers,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Tracey Emin (12 October)

Postby Jeeps » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:21 pm

I read in a number of places of people refusing to watch this episode because of their dislike of Tracey Emin which I think was a great shame as she came across as very natural and seemed to really enjoy being the subject.

I had no idea that there were encampments of gypsies in Warwickshire and wonder just how many folk have descended from them without realising they had this fascinating history in their tree. The gypsy surnames seemed normal English names so if the occupation didn't give a clue, how else would a family researcher know?

I would have liked to have seen Tracey's foreign roots but it's good to focus on one side, particularly if it's in the UK so we can become more aware of the social history and resources available. Maybe future programmes can go down both lines of the subject over the course of two weeks?!

Like Tracey's ancestor, my 3xgt.grandfather was sentenced at Warwick Assizes to 12 months imprisonment at the age of about 20 in 1822 for larceny from the person. The enquiries I made said that this would have been hard labour but he could have been deported and then I wouldn't have been writing this!

I am really sorry the series has come to an end. It's one of the best shows on TV imho.
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby homeboat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Loved the last prog of this year. My Great grandad was born a few hundred yards from Traceys Joseph Hodgkins , he was born one year later and lived in the area for some time. his profession was a Wheelwright, so they probably new each other. My great great grandad ran the local pub which was just down the road from Tinkers lane.
homeboat

Postby mxsytfc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:07 pm

I loved the Tracey Emin episode but then again it was all about my ancestors and I had contributed to the programme. :D I have been surprised by the way some people reacted simply to the fact that the programme featured Tracey.
mxsytfc

Postby Jodakist » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 pm

I found this episode really interesting and was amazed at the length of the `Gypsy' family tree! The areas of the research were really interesting. A good episode all round to end this series on, well done BBC and WDYTYA. Having said that, now get started on the next series, we will all be waiting!
Jodakist

Postby Pantgwyn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I thought this was a wonderful episode with which to end the series - it showed what amazing discoveries can be made in a family tree even if one has no 'exotic' ancestors (although of course TE has those too ...). I loved the Sebastian Coe, June Brown and Richard Madeley episodes, but they contained such incredible discoveries, going so far afield, that they felt rather remote. This episode, on the other hand, provided several pieces of information which might be relevant to my own research. And Tracey Emin came across as rather charming and a bit of a romantic!
Pantgwyn

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011