Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history
Post a reply

Is the internet eroding the romance of family history - July

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:12 am

There is some justice in Alan's comments, but only for those of you fortunate enough to live in Britain. For those of us many miles away (and I'm about as far as you can get from the UK) the internet is in fact opening opportunities that would otherwise not exist.

Yes, there is great romance in seeing actual documents (I was fortunate enough while in Cornwall to be handed an 1852 newspaper detailing the coroner's inquest of an ancestor, and I found it extremely moving), but sometimes we just have to make do with viewing our documents at a distance.

And it is probably true that fewer original documents will be available in the future as they become too fragile to expose to air, light and sweaty fingers!

Regards
Andrea

Re: Is the internet eroding the romance of family history -

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:33 am

I agree, living in New Zealand the information I obtain on the internet is invaluable. I possibly will never get to Britain to look up documents myself. I have made some excellent contacts with other genealogists and so many are only to willing to help.
Jan
Post a reply