Moderator Control Panel ]

Polish Military Refugees - Arrival in London in 1837

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Polish Military Refugees - Arrival in London in 1837

Postby ksouthall » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 pm

I am trying to find out about 4 Polish military refugees who arrived in the Port of London on 23rd October 1837. There arrival records number from 7667 - 7670. Their arrival records are on Ancestry. I am guessing they arrived together. Their names are:-

Vincent Drosdovoski
Dominguel Sypniewski
Julius Labricki (Labeiki ?)
Joseph Lensky (Jemsky ?)

The November Uprising took place in 1830 - 31. Len Goodman's ancestor arrived in Portsmouth in 1834. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas why the 4 men named above didn't arrive in England until 1837 and how to find out what happened to them. I watched Len Goodman's programme the other day but can't remember the name of the record office in Paris that he went to?
ksouthall

Re: Polish Military Refugees - Arrival in London in 1837

Postby boughtp » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi

I have found the following on google. I too have Polish Ancestry and have emailed Paris. To date I have not received a response but perhaps this is due to an increased workload since the Len Goodman programme was aired in the UK? The only alternative is to jump on a plane or train to Paris but I am having a few problems persuading hubby to do that!

Historical and Literary Society – Polish Library in Paris
6, Quai d’Orléans
75004 Paris
FRANCE
Phone + 33 1 55 42 83 83
Fax: +33 1 46 33 36 31
E-mail: p.szymczyk@bplp.fr , d.dubois@bplp.fr

The URL for the historical society is http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/pl/internatio ... rance.html

Hope the above helps. Good Luck!

Pauline
boughtp

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Hello Pauline,
Thanks for your reply and the links you provided. i'll give them a try and update this page if I get any additional information.
Thanks again,
Katherine
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Does anyone know anything about Cornelius J Tumanowicz? I have the following, very basic information about him:

I believe he was living at 7, North Street, Cheltenham in November 1839, according to an article in the Cheltenham Chronicle dated 28th November 1839.

Also at the same address was a fellow Polish exile, D. O. Sypniewski. I have not been able to confirm whether this was Dominic Oly Sypniewski or Dominic Odross Sypniewski, or if there were, indeed, two separate Dominic Sypniewskis.

Cornelius J Tumanowicz was a drawing master, according to the England, Alien Arrivals Register entry dated 10th October 1844, which documents his return to England after an absence of 7 months.

In 1847, Cornelius J Tumanowicz was a master of Derwent Lodge Number 40 in the Provincial Grand Lodge of Sussex, a freemasons lodge based in St Leonards, Sussex.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:09 pm

Now I have the correct spelling of the surname, I have found Cornelius Joseph Tumanowicz in the following records:

England & Wales BMD - Marriages
Married in 1840 in Birmingham. Possible wife - Mary Ann Clayfield.

1861 Census - 19 Radnor Street, Chelsea
Cornelius J Tumanowicz - aged 47; born in Poland - naturalised British Subject; Teacher of Languages.
Mary A Tumanowicz - wife - aged 42; born in Stroud, Gloucestershire.

England & Wales BMD - Deaths
Died in 1869 in Axbridge, Somerset.
Last edited by ksouthall on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:27 pm

Using FindMyPast, I have found an article in the Brighton Gazette dated 25th December 1845 which describes the public examinations sat by pupils of the Hastings and St Leonards Proprietary Grammar School. The article mentions the drawing master, Mr Tumanowicz and fits with the earlier mention of the Freemasons Lodge in Sussex.

A second article in the Brighton Gazette dated 31st December 1846 also describes the public examinations sat by pupils of the same school. The article states:

We were particularly delighted with the drawings, which were far superior to those shown at the last examination; and for this rapid advancement the credit is due to the drawing master, Mr Tumanowicz.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Unfortunately, Cornelius Joseph Tumanowicz's widow, Mary Ann, was admitted to an asylum on 1st September 1884 and died there on 5th February 1887.

If there are any surviving relatives of this family, I would be interested to find out more about them and their connection to Dominic Oly Sypniewski.

Mary Ann was described as a milliner in the 1871 Census. I have not yet found her in the 1881 Census.
ksouthall

Return to Military help