Moderator Control Panel ]

WORLD WAR I RECORD

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WORLD WAR I RECORD

Postby Tree Maker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 pm

I have recently found my husband's grandfathers Service Record on Ancestry and totals 41 pages of very interesting information.
In 1915, in France James Higney was awarded The Military Medal and 'mentioned in dispatches'. I have downloaded his Medal Card from The National Archives and searched the online London Gazette for information but 'mentioned in dispatches' is not online.
My question is 'Is it possible to obtain his war record and who do I contact? How do I find further information on why he was awarded The Military Medal?
James Higney signed up in 1899 and served in the King's Royal Rifle Corps and was discharged in 1920.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :? :? :? :? :? :?
Tree Maker

Re: WORLD WAR I RECORD

Postby callbrian » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi
I'm no military expert but I believe the National archives is the place to search.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... urther.htm
Military Medal Catalogue references: ZJ 1; WO 32; WO 326; ADM 171; AIR 1; WO 373*

Also the Long Long Trail website may be of assistance:
http://www.1914-1918.net/index.html

The Military Medal
First instituted in March 1916 as an award for distinguished service in the field for Warrant Officers, NCO's and lower ranks. The award of an MM was also possible for women. All awards of the MM were announced in the London Gazette, with no citation. No citations or recommandations now exist.When you find the listing in the London Gazette, note the date of publication. The event for which the award was made was usually some 3-4 months before. MM awards are often mentioned in war diaries.

Hope this helps

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Darcy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:58 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi
I'm no military expert but I believe the National archives is the place to search.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... urther.htm
Military Medal Catalogue references: ZJ 1; WO 32; WO 326; ADM 171; AIR 1; WO 373*

Also the Long Long Trail website may be of assistance:
http://www.1914-1918.net/index.html

The Military Medal
First instituted in March 1916 as an award for distinguished service in the field for Warrant Officers, NCO's and lower ranks. The award of an MM was also possible for women. All awards of the MM were announced in the London Gazette, with no citation. No citations or recommandations now exist.When you find the listing in the London Gazette, note the date of publication. The event for which the award was made was usually some 3-4 months before. MM awards are often mentioned in war diaries.

Hope this helps

Brian

I must say that great and valuable information you have provided. And it helps me to recall my previous knowledge about that. Thanks a lot dude.
Darcy

Postby Tree Maker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Thank you for your time and the information.
Tree Maker

Postby Gunner » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Your best bet is to go to the National Archives and study the file groups WO 95 (ie the War Diaries - some of which are on line) for the relevant Rifle Corps battalions or get hold of their published regimental histories.
Either, or both, may mention him by name and the engagement(s) he was involved in which led to his awards.
Note that London Gazette date may be some time after the award(s)
Alan

PS His Service Record is the closest you will get to an 'individual' war record
Gunner

Postby Tree Maker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Gunner wrote:Your best bet is to go to the National Archives and study the file groups WO 95 (ie the War Diaries - some of which are on line) for the relevant Rifle Corps battalions or get hold of their published regimental histories.
Either, or both, may mention him by name and the engagement(s) he was involved in which led to his awards.
Note that London Gazette date may be some time after the award(s)
Alan

PS His Service Record is the closest you will get to an 'individual' war record

Thank you for the time to answer my post.
I have used another forum to answer my question with very helpful feedback similar to yours.
Andrea
Tree Maker

Postby Libby » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Many Regiments have their own Museums. You can find their website by googling. They may have info that is not at TNA and there is a often a person who will reply to enquiries. Hope this helps.
Libby

Return to Military help