Moderator Control Panel ]

Len Goodman (5 October)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Len Goodman (5 October)

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 am

Hi everyone,

Tonight's episode sees Strictly Come Dancing judge Len Goodman explore his family tree, with links to London's East End and Poland in store along the way. We'll be tuning in at 9pm, so join us once the programme has ended to share your thoughts...

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Len Goodman (5 October)

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 am

Hi Matt,

Great programme, made all the better as I discovered Len and I are distantly related.

During the programme, whilst he was examining a marriage certificate for his Great Grandparents, I recognised the name of his great-grandmother and her address, Jane Sleath of 18 Mape Street, Bethnal Green.

My 2'Great-Grandparents were Robert Loney and Sarah Elizabeth Sleath. Sarah was one of Jane's older sisters! Sadly the programme went on to follow her husband's family line, so that was the last we saw of her. It would be interesting to see what the programme's researchers found out about Jane and her family.

Is there anyway you can find out?

Mike Loney
Mick Loney

Postby Jeeps » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 am

Another good programme. I am loving that this series seems to be focusing more on the social history aspect rather than how far back a person can get. It's great to be able to understand why or how our ancestors lived the way they did.

I thought Len was particularly lucky that he was able to track his Polish ancestor so closely and that Josef featured in so many documents. I would have liked to know if Len had any Polish relations who were traceable.

The suicide of his gt.gt.grandfather was especially poignant for me as my 3xgt.grandfather Nehemiah Taylor "hanged himself while in a state of insanity" in the workhouse where he had been admitted as an imbecile. :( His sister Elizabeth also hanged herself 9 years before. :( I do wonder if being an imbecile in his case was maybe dementia and the same for Elizabeth. They were both in their early 70s when they died. What a horrible end to a life. :(
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby boughtp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 am

I loved this episode! It gave me some new avenues to explore my own polish ancestry so hopefully this will prove fruitful especially as I thought I would never break this brickwall down!

It was so sad to hear why Len's ancestor committed suicide. I am sure many of us have ancestors who ended up in the Workhouse and this episode really brought to light the dismal conditions they endured.
boughtp

Postby callbrian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 am

Hi
Another excellent episode, of what must be the best series of WDYTYA?
Well done! I cant believe the series is about to come to an end.
I have found members of both mine and my wife's family, that were 'in the workhouse'. One member died there and a family was there because of the husbands death.
I would love to see some of these stories and the social history events behind them, passed on as part of the school curriculum. This is, after all, recent history.
I wonder how many children think that they are poor because they don't have the latest 'i phone/pad/ pod' or designer trainers.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ColinB » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:54 am

I agree , an excellent episode. It really brought home the reality of life in the Workhouse. I have
several ancestors who died there and one unfortunate young man who was born there and survived
the experience only to die at the age of 26 in WW1.

How lucky we are , sitting at our laptops , commenting on TV programmes !

Colin
ColinB

Postby ritah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Yes an excellent episode in what has for the most part been an excellent series. Len listened to all the information without interruption and asked excellent questions. It was very obviously a marvellous experience for him in spite of some of the sad facts he was told.

Thank you!
ritah

Postby GrannyAshton » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Funnily enough, my great-great-grandfather was also a silk weaver AND ended up in the workhouse.....but he lived in Leigh, Lancashire, and so when the silk-weaving business declined he was able to transfer to the cotton mills - where the rest of my ancestors worked too.

He only ended up in the workhouse (in Wigan as a widower) because most of his family moved around the area (south Lancashire) to follow the cotton-mills and mining jobs AND they were poor too.

I felt a kind of comraderie with Les because of this similar occurrance with my ancestors - but goodness me, didn't they work hard and long!!
GrannyAshton

Postby boughtp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:45 am

Does anyone know, who in Paris would I need to contact to access the Polish records they hold?

Pauline
boughtp

Postby phuntly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Mike, I have sent you message re Jane Sleath.
phuntly

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011