Moderator Control Panel ]

parish records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

parish records

Postby chrissy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:36 pm

On looking through parish records for one of my ancestors I found an entry stating that he was "unbur" which I presume means unburied. The death was in 1839 and I haven't been able to find an entry of the death on Find My Past or any other free BMD websites. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Chrissy
chrissy

RE: parish records

Postby Dru » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:10 am

Hi
Was he cremated? Although I don't think they did that then, unless he had a really awful illness that required him to be burnt so the germs couldn't spread. Only an idea. Or, that he died of something where there was no body left - blown up? Maybe a bit far fetched, but you never know.
Probably not very helpful, but it may trigger something...
Researching: Johnson, Shaw, Burditt, Bodell, Thompson (Warwickshire), Hyett (Gloucestershire), Mottram, Lunt (Chesire), Dawson, James (unknown area)
Dru

RE: parish records

Postby paulberyl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:00 am

Hi Chrissy,

Like Dru I am probably not going to be of much use.

It is unlikely that he was cremated at this time. The first official cremation in the UK was on 26/03/1885, with only 3 cremations being recorded in this year. This increased to 10 cremations in 1886 (compared to 437,000 in 2002).

Whilst compulsory registration of births, marriages and deaths was introduced on 1st July 1837, penalties for non-registration were not introduced until 1875 and therefore not all deaths were registered.

It is possible that your ancestor died abroad or at sea and whilst there was no body to bury the family wanted to have his death recorded in the parish records. It is possible that if a headstone exists that this will provide details of his death. It is worth looking for the death records of close family members (father, mother, wife or children) to see if they are buried in the same church and again if headstones exist whether mention is made of your "unbur" ancestor.

Paul
paulberyl

Return to General research queries