Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Soldier - Unknown

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 Soldier - Unknown

Postby TraceyWoo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:00 pm

462D7AC8.jpg
462D7AC8.jpg (23.95 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
I have a photograph of a WW1 soldier in a gold locket, he was engaged to my relative in Wroughton Wiltshire, but unfortunately there is no identifying information. I appreciate this is a long shot, but Is there any hope of identification?
TraceyWoo

Re: WW1 Soldier - Unknown

Postby phsvm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:37 pm

I have no idea whether any of these suggestions will work but if it were me this is what I would do.

You say "was engaged". Does that mean they never married? Do you know why? Was he killed or was the engagement called off?

This handsome young man looks as if he was officer material. Is it likely that your relative would have been engaged to an officer or an nco?

Was she from Wroughton or did she travel and live anywhere else for a while?

If the indications are that she met him in Wiltshire have you thought about finding which army units were based near Wroughton at that time? If you can ascertain that you may be able to find out which area of the country was their natural recruiting area. If he was an officer/career soldier he may have attended a public school. Many of these have very good records of former pupils and the individual's military records. Winchester and Radley Colleges both have large war memorials to former pupils who died during the Great War and I'm sure other public schools have the same. Sandhurst may also be able to help you.

I ask all these questions to try and build up more of a picture of who this man may be. Once we have that info it may give a few more ideas as to who he was.
phsvm

Postby TraceyWoo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Many thanks for your help. I know that he was killed before they could marry and she (Dorothy Robinson) died of TB at the age of 36. She never married. She lived in Wroughton all her life and I have since learned that he was stationed at Chiseldon Camp, although probably wasn't local. I will do what I can to ascertain which regiments were stationed at Chiseldon, although it would seem to have been a holding camp for many different groups of soldiers. If he was an officer would Sandhurst be able to offer any help with just a photograph? I know this seems like an impossible task, but I would really love to discover his story.
TraceyWoo

Postby phsvm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Tracey - I want to know who his is as well now!

I'm sure Sandhurst must have huge archives so they're probably worth contacting. Even if they can't help they may be able to point you in a new direction.

Individual regiments also have museums and associations so if you could narrow down possible regiments for him you may be able to contact them as well.

Do you know when or where he was killed - if you know either of those it may help in ascertining possible regiments.

Keep my posted - I love an impossible problem!
phsvm

Postby TraceyWoo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:29 pm

I will give Sandhurst a go, I've also been advised to write an article for the local Swindon paper which may offer up some help, especially if he did turn out to be a local boy.

I haven't any information about his death at all, only that he didn't survive the war. The gold locket is hallmarked Chester 1916, but he might not have purchased it.

I am nothing if not determined and I will continue to do everything I can to reveal their story. Thanks for your encouragement, I will post any developments. T
TraceyWoo

Postby ksouthall » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:19 am

You may already have thought of this but do any of your distant relatives have any letters that may mention this man's name?

Alternatively, if you posted the name of the person he was engaged to, one of his relatives may see the post and put two and two together.

You could check to see if their engagement was announced in the local papers. Furthermore, she may have been mentioned in his obituary or listed as one of the mourners at his funeral. If you tried a search on her name, something unexpected may come up.
ksouthall

Return to Photo identification