Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Madeley (28 September)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Richard Madeley (28 September)

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 am

Hi everyone,

TV presenter Richard Madeley crosses the Atlantic in this evening's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, tracing his family tree back through more than 400 years of history. But what do you think of his story? Share your thoughts here, and don't forget to check back to the site for an exclusive bonus scene and step-by-step guides to his research.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Richard Madeley (28 September)

Postby Brian1964 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Having watched this episode with Great expectations, it failed on several occasions due to the fact it looked rehearsed in certain areas but what I totally agree with is John Brown the Native American historian who basically stated we cannot be guilty of what our ancestors have done before and the second best part was talking about the puritans who left this country for a new life in the new world , of which I know so well from my own family tree of which my ancestor was granted land of 300 acres in Virginia
Brian1964

Postby phsvm » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:28 am

I enjoyed the programme but one thing I found irritating was the need to continually go back to the next generation to find the 'American' connection - once the individual had served their purpose (ie given the link to the next generation back) they were thrown to once side if they weren't aiding the American trip back in time.

I suppose it's the nature of the beast but for me it was a bit superficial. He (or more likely the producers) weren't trying to trace his family so much as find how far back they could connect him to America. There must have been other good stories that were missed in order to achieve the ultimate goal.

In earlier series I know there have been complaints that all the episodes have been too similar (the series where everyone seemed to be trying to show how dreadfully their families had been treated in War springs to mind) and certainly this series cannot be accused of this. With the exception of one episode I've enjoyed the celebs and their interesting and varied histories.
phsvm

Postby Loish711 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 pm

I really enjoyed this episode and thought Richard came across very well. I found it very moving his encounter with the Native American but thought it was poignant that he pointed out that although we can't be blamed for our ancestors wrong doings we nevertheless need to acknowledge those things really did happen.
Loish711

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011