Moderator Control Panel ]

Reducing Topics

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Reducing Topics

Postby callbrian » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi.
here I go again, never satisfied, should I join the grumpy old men brigade.
Please can we reduce the 'Topics board headings'. I believe, ColinB, Sylvia and myself have noted several times how frustrating it is to spend quite an amount of time searching for answers, only to find that the query has been answered on another board, as it has been posted within different categories.
Perhaps, Over to you, Help with your research and Tracing individuals could be 'lumped' together.

What do you think!

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Re: Reducing Topics

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:40 am

Firstly - glad to see the forum is up and running again - was not able to access it for a couple of days.
In response to Brian's posting, I think the main problem arises because of the vagueness of the forum headings: "over to you"; "help with your research" and "tracing individuals" are interchangeable in many cases. Some people aren't sure where to post so end up posting in at least 2 of the 3. On occasions I have looked at the census forums and found research queries posted there also.

So, yes, I think there is a case for re-organising the forum headings to provide more guidance to query posters and respondents alike. Keep just one general topic heading, but then have some broad geographical headings:
- Help with your research anywhere
- Help with your research in England and Wales
- Help with your research in Ireland
- help with your research in Scotland
- Help with your research in the former British colonies
etc etc

What do you think of that idea?
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ColinB » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 am

I think that's a great idea. There would be less confusion over where to post. However I do think ,
in some cases , the duplicate topics are created because the poster thinks that they will get
more attention for their topic , not because he or she is unsure which board is appropriate.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions – yes, rationalising the different forum threads is something that's been on my 'to do' list for a while now. Unfortunately, the problems we've been having with the website recently mean that now's a pretty bad time to be implementing any changes like this, but as soon as things are back to normal I'll look into it.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks Matt - this will also give time for some input from others as well.
I also think there is a lot of truth in what Colin says - 'newbies' in particular can be overcome with sudden enthusiasm and post in multiple places, hopeful of almost instant results - but unfortunately sometimes tend to forget where they have posted their queries!

I hope all your problems with the forum are now over - at least for the foreseeable future.
kepp up the good work
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you! Fingers crossed, everything now seems to be working as it should be. And I think that's a great idea – if anyone else has any suggestions for making the forum better, please do add them below.

Have a great weekend!

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby ritah » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:17 pm

This is an issue I raised in the questionnaire some weeks ago so I am glad to see it is being taken seriously. Unfortunately it is probably the case that people will post in the wrong place no matter how clear we try to make the headings but it is always worth a try!

Rita
ritah

Return to Technical help