Moderator Control Panel ]

ROYAL ARTILLERY FAMILY - WOOLWICH.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: ROYAL ARTILLERY FAMILY - WOOLWICH.

Postby ColinB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Laura,
A stroke of luck from irishgenealogy.ie ( free site ) :

Gulielmus Benson = Eleanora Duffy 11 Jan 1876 Rathmines, Dublin
parents
Joannis Benson Thomae Duffy
Elizabeth Shaw Catherinae Egan

At least you now have William's parents' names !

Colin
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:33 pm

And from familysearch John Benson married Elizabeth Shaw 13 Nov 1837
in Old Hutton , Westmoreland.

Hope this helps !

Colin

And a baptism : William Benson 29 Apr 1838 Old Hutton , Westmoreland , parents John and Elizabeth.

The date ties in more with the Service record I think. I don't know where Netherstown
comes from though - it may be a very local description of part of Old Hutton ?
ColinB

Postby Sylcec » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:26 pm

Indeed Colin, it is definitely starting to fit together. However, when I offered Laura details of some Westmoreland baptisms, she said that "none of them are my gt grandfather". I wonder why - could it be because the years of baptism didn't fit in with what she believed to be the case. There was an initial estimate of year of birth as 1846 which seems to have come from at least the 1881 census. Consider the following:
a) William may have lied about his age for his own reasons - ?eligibility to get into the army; ?not wanting to appear too much older than his wife, or ??
b) the census enumerator made an error (or the transcriber of information made the error)
c) the birth & baptism identified in 1838 are for a child William who may later have died in infancy, with another child born later being given the same name.

On reviewing all information so far turned up, I still think that the William born/baptised at Old Hutton in 1838 is your man.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ColinB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks Sylvia , it does , doesn't it. I noticed that you refered to the 1851 census record
for John and Elizabeth in your post of 30 Sep. I had a look and the household includes
father in law Thomas Shaw which ties in nicely.

Colin
ColinB

Postby LauraB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Thank you Colin & Sylvia for all your help x x

This is most definitely him, it seems he named all his children after family members too.

I ruled this one out because of the birth date/place.Never mind, thanks to you both for sending me off on another adventure adding to my family tree.

I know where to come if I get stuck in the future :p

Regards,
Laura x
LauraB

Previous

Return to Military help