Moderator Control Panel ]

Best forums?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Best forums?

Postby scotslass1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Colin - I completely agree. In fact if the site admins have been made aware of this thread, I hope it is deleted and we can continue via the SFT forum where it is more appropriately placed.

I am an SFT member (under different username on this forum as SFT forum which I won't post here as it's my full name including surname). I hope you appreciate that the reason most of the posts have been so defensive is because someone has come on this site and attacked the credibility and reputation of a forum which in my opinion goes above and beyond to help people with genealogical research. The forum members are a community, so it feels like a personal attack - and an unfounded one at that.

So to anyone reading this - decide for yourself. If our methods are not for you, we respect that - and if you feel strongly enough to address it, do it where it's appropriate.
scotslass1

Postby Christiner1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:32 pm

I never expected to be subjected to this simply because I made a comment on an article published in a magazine I bought! As I said before you are all entitled to your opinion, but I am also entitled to mine. Just because someone disagrees, does not give you the right to behave in this manner. And as for your demand to delete my post – on one hand I’d more than happy to never have any exposure to you people again, but equally why am I not allowed to air my opinion just because it differs from yours? No doubt there will be another few pages of postings but personally I will not be back to read them.

Sarah - thanks for your offer of feedback on my original query. I have no idea if it is possible for you to contact me off board when you receive, but I would appreciate that.

Christine
Christiner1

Postby scotfamted » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Christiner1, Have you read the comments made by myself and Jocktamson? Your £8 for your one year subscription for our site will be refunded to you,(along with money pledged by several SFT members)! I note that this was one of your gripes on your initial post as you say you that are a pensioner. I urge you to get in touch with scotfamtree forum by personal message or email and we will refund all money pledged in good will by our members, and being known as the 'friendly forum', we will give you free access for one year to our subscription section :)

Why not give us a try! You have nothing to lose and much to gain.

Please get in touch as soon as possible, I look forward to hearing from you ;)
Thank you
Scotfamted
scotfamted

Postby scotfamted » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Just thought I'd post an update on this to let readers know that Christiner1 has not been in touch to receive her £8 refund(and other donations by members) and I am unable to contact her through our Scotfamtree forum as I do not know her username on the site............

Scotfamted
scotfamted

Postby Guy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Scotfamted, by releasing such private information to a forum you are in breach of your data protection responsibilities.
That to me vindicates everything she has said about your forum.
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby jocktamson » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:51 am

Guy wrote:Scotfamted, by releasing such private information to a forum you are in breach of your data protection responsibilities.
That to me vindicates everything she has said about your forum.
Guy

Guy,What are you talking about !? No breach of data protection act 1998 has been made ! The member in question here has used another name on our forum and as yet we are unable to identify her ,this is why we have requested her to contact us via scotfamtree forum(see my first post!).

Can you explain here and I quote '' ...by releasing such private information '' ......what private info have we released? Please enlighten us.
jocktamson

Postby meekhcs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Sarah/Matt

Perhaps a line should be drawn under all this now before it degenerates further.

Christiner1 was, quite rightly, using this form to give her opinion on the Scotfamtree forum which was recommended in WDYTYA magazine.

The members of Scotfamtree have, as is there right, taken exception to her comments, which were stated quite forcefully. HOWEVER the comments they themselves have voiced on this forum in reply, and the fact that they will not now let it drop is not to their credit.

WHether she was right or not their argument is with Christiner1 and NOT the members of this forum whom I suspect find this whole matter distasteful.

There is no point in continuing to post messages on here as she is obviously not going to respond. Any contact should be through PM's. I realise that this has been tried to no avail. But if she is not willing to discuss the matter privately than I think Scotfamtree should now desist.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Editor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Absolutely, I think that we should count this discussion as closed.

Thank you,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat