Moderator Control Panel ]

Best forums?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Best forums?

Postby desmond » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:28 am

I am also very upset by Christiner1s comments concerning the SFT forum.
I have been using this wonderful site for over 2 years and I have to say I have had more help from these wonderful people than any other site I have belonged to, not to mention the hundreds yes hundreds of $$'s they have saved me.

My family are spread throughout England, Ireland, Scotland, America, Canada, as I live in Australia it fantastic the the SFT team can find me what I need from these countrys.

Not only is SFT for family research it feels like one big happy family, of course we use smilies, some days when we are struggling we appreciate these little funny faces, doesn't everyone prefere a smile ??

I am also a pensioner but my $8 subs is nothing, the best money I spend in a whole year, it cost me $5 for a coffee.

Please don't anyone be put of by the comments of one person, if in doubt check it out for yourself and study the site thoughouly before condemming it..........

I will continue to use my smilie.

Desmond :D
desmond

Postby lizanne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:04 am

Well said Desmond and Smoo.
I do belong to other genealogy forums and have had help from them and regularly help out with other poster's queries on them. However I do find Scotfamtree forum the friendliest , both user friendly and friendly members.
As Pamela said "One of my favourite things about this forum is that it's more than people with a shared interest in genealogy. It's a proper community. " And everyone is willing to go that extra mile to help each other out. :D
lizanne
lizanne

Postby Christiner1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:14 am

The reason I am posting here is this section is for feedback on the magazine and that's what I'm giving - feedback on a review which led me to a forum. You are all entitled to your opinions in defence of your forum, just as I am to mine but I stand by every one of my comments.

Christine
Christiner1

Postby desmond » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:52 am

Maybe you would like to share what in your opinion is the "Best Forum" :?: :?: :?: :?:

Desmond
desmond

Postby woody » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 am

Christiner1 wrote:The reason I am posting here is this section is for feedback on the magazine and that's what I'm giving - feedback on a review which led me to a forum. You are all entitled to your opinions in defence of your forum, just as I am to mine but I stand by every one of my comments.

Christine

Hi Christine
I appreciate you are airing your views and you are right to do so. However, you have also stated that you are - and I quote - "really annoyed to have wasted £8 from your pension" which suggests that you have subscribed to our site.
As we have only had three new subscription members since the magazine was published, none of whom have the name Christine, we are rather surprised by your comment. Therefore, you must have either a different username or you have not subscribed.
I assure you we are not in the habit of taking money from anyone without giving a fair return. We are a small site but we have a wealth of expertise that money can not buy and I'm extremely disappointed that you did not give us the opportunity to assist you.
I will make no further comment here. If you are indeed a member of our site then please have the courtesy to hold further discussions there. The Member's section is open to all and all content can be seen on the internet.
Regards
Christine W
Last edited by woody on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
woody

Postby jocktamson » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:32 am

Christiner1 wrote:The reason I am posting here is this section is for feedback on the magazine and that's what I'm giving - feedback on a review which led me to a forum. You are all entitled to your opinions in defence of your forum, just as I am to mine but I stand by every one of my comments.

Christine

Good morning Christiner1,If you would kindly pm me here on this forum (or on scotfamtree forum), I can make arrangements for your subscription moneys to be sent back to you. I await your info.........
jocktamson

Postby jocktamson » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:49 am

Christine

Christiner1,With all due respect,you have not given feedback on the magazine's article,you have posted a damning review of our site(in your opinion)......this is quite different from giving ''feedback'' on the WDYTYA magazine/forum/site ??

In my opinion , I do not believe that you are a subscription member therefore you have only had access to approx 10% of our site and based your ''feeback'' on that.
jocktamson

Postby scotfamted » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 am

Christiner1 wrote:Having had a good look round over the last few weeks I can honestly say it is the worst forum I have ever come across and I’m really annoyed I wasted £8 of my pension joining it on your recommendation.

Christiner1, could you please contact me, either by pm here or on scotfamtree, as I have now been inundated with members offers, willing to refund your £8. All of these members are aware that each has offered, but they are all still willing for you to have all these '£8 refunds' which means you will be in profit and this will help with your pension.

Your post on here has somewhat backfired on your thoughts and opinions of SFT, as we've had more members subscribing over the last 24 hours than we had over the last month, so you are very welcome to have your refunds ! ;)
scotfamted

Postby pinkthistle1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:37 pm

:shock: Really Christine1 :shock: I honestly wish I had found SFT sooner! I wasted more than £8 searching other sites promising all sorts of results only to find they were wrong, or didnt even cover the countries i was searching after showing "exact matches" My very first search on SFT involved a few weeks of work for the helpers..searching all the census returns etc for a woman who changed surname every census, birth records and death records for the mother(who had a different surname again)and had a bigmist husband...i was then invited to meet with some of them in the Mitchell library where they showed me asylum records and a photo of him...I could never have found that for £8!

I live in Spain and they have been invaluable to me for finding me information, free searches, deciphering documents etc...as for rootsweb etc, yes im also a member of other free sites..but ive never found them to be so fast with replies, so forthcoming for offers of lookups and photos or so friendly...Ive been emailed censuses, birth, marriage and death certificates, ive had a USA member purchase and send me a will, headstone photos sent, a Canadian member search public library archives, 2 Irish members visit PRONI and forward their findings...I was more than happy to support the forum a second year even though my searches are less now.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but equally so everyone is entitled to defend themselves...you should have posted your grievances on the SFT forum first...what youve done is just unfair.
pinkthistle1

Postby ColinB » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Sorry to interrupt the Scotfamtree Forum Appreciation Society ! You've certainly drawn attention to yourselves - if we didn't know about you we do now !

May I respectfully point out that this Forum is for feedback on WDYTYA magazine and website.

Kind regards

Colin
ColinB

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat