Moderator Control Panel ]

Larry Lamb (31 August)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Re: Larry Lamb (31 August)

Postby callbrian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 am

Hi
Must agree with most of the comments. So far, this has to be the best series yet.
It would have been nice to find out what happened to Albert Day. I found it very amusing when Larry turned up at Walford Synagogue, it must be 'deja vu'.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby eurogordi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:15 am

Fantastic! I've never watched Gavin & Stacey and did not like Larry Lamb's character in Eastenders, but this episode of WDYTYA was excellent and revealed the real Larry Lamb. It would have been nice to see Jessie actually meet her half-brother rather than the telephone conversation, and I really hope that the two siblings have now met. The episode also showed that it is possible to locate travelling ancestors, although I am sure the production team had its work cut out researching this programme. Well done to the WDYTYA team and the BBC.
eurogordi

Postby Auntie Boo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:37 am

in 1911 Catherine Walker Burns Rose is with her mother aged 23 and father aged 24 now listed as a hawker and has 2 younger siblings Jessie 19 months and Charles 1 month.

They are in Dundee
Auntie Boo

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 am

What a brilliant programme was the Larry lamb edition, surely there is another tale waiting to be told there. Unless I missed it there was no birth place given for his grandfather or that they had even looked for another marriage or for his death. Who knows, there might just be other siblings for Larry's mother.
I thought Larry might have visited his grandmother's grave while in America. The fact that he could see the connection of being able to up sticks and live anywhere and also realising that showbusiness was in his genes obviously meant a lot to him.
I was not sure whether I liked the concept of just finding what happened to one family member, as I do like to go back as far as possible: but this has made me think again and it was so well done, many congratulations to the whole team.
Kay Farndon
KayFarndon

Postby Jeeps » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 am

KayFarndon wrote:I thought Larry might have visited his grandmother's grave while in America.

He did. :) It's on the unseen footage from the home page here.
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby Auntie Boo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 am

Looks like Catherine's sister Jessie died in 1989 in Berwick unmarried.
Auntie Boo

Postby Joan1947 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 am

This was a truly lovely journey for Larry. My own mum was orphaned and I have spent many years trying to trace her family. I have found some family but!

Did Larry's mum meet her brother? Thanks :D
Joan1947

Postby pre1837 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 am

The BESTEST one wev'e seen to date in any of the Series.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby lincslady2 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

I agree, this was the best episode so far, and my favourite of all series up to now. What a wonderful story with real human interest, which I was genuinely moved by. I too would have loved to see Larry's mum meet her long lost half brother for the first time. Follow ups from some of the better episodes to bring things up to date would be a great idea.
My husband's great uncle was a travelling showman, the National Fairgound Archives at Sheffield University have been a great help to me with my research, they're very friendly too!
lincslady2

Postby Wahian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 pm

I found it a very touching episode, and as kindly mentioned above about the Scottish side, there's so much more that Larry Lamb could additionally find out. I think his graveside visit should have been included for it's one ending of what he sets out to find out on his family story and thought it would be an important segment to also show, as they showed with the Bruce Forsythe episode last year.

For those above that aren't familiar with his TV credits mentioned, he also features in Midsomer Murders episode 17, Who Killed Cock Robin?, and also in the Superman films.

As for Albert Day and his disappearance; surely he must turn up somewhere sooner or later and what his ultimate fate was?
Wahian

PreviousNext

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011