Moderator Control Panel ]

Posting offensive and irrelevant comments

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Posting offensive and irrelevant comments

Postby phsvm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Ive posted a simlar message on one of the other forum threads but am posting here also as I think the issue I have raised relates to all threads posted here.

Some of you will have read the posts about Seb Coe and the WDYTYA episode shown this week. Two of those who have contributed to the thread have made, what I consider to be, cheap snide comments relating to Seb Coe which have nothing to do with researching his ancestors. The contributors views on the IOC and Seb Coe's political views have no bearing on WDYTYA.

This is a forum for genealogy NOT for making rude and offensive comments of any kind.

There have been a number of individuals in the series over the years that I personally have felt a disliking towards for one reason or another but I wouldn't dream of making those comments known here because they weren't relevant in the context of the programme.

If comments such as those expressed by the two individuals, which have nothing to do with genealogy, continue this forum will lose much of the respect many, I am sure hold, it in. For me, it is leaving a nasty taste in my mouth.
phsvm

Re: Posting offensive and irrelevant comments

Postby ColinB » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm

I couldn't agree more. I've read the conversation about this week's programme with
increasing distaste. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this is not the place for
unpleasant personal remarks and political comment.

Colin
ColinB

Postby colliehouse » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 am

Well said. Some of the posts were unnecessary, irrelevant to the programme and offensive, not what we have come to expect of posters on this forum. Criticism of the programme is valid (preferably constructive criticism) but criticism of the person is not.
colliehouse

Postby Guy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:43 am

The trouble with making and repeating such a posting is one is then guilty of the same offence. ;)

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:10 am

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well and had a great weekend.

I was also slightly uneasy about some of the comments made about Sebastian Coe's episode over in the About the Show thread. Although I try to not get too involved in the negative administration of this forum (ie deleting posts/banning users), posts that are personal in nature, offensive (sexist, racist and so on) or wildly off-topic will be removed. If you see something that falls into these categories – or anything else that you're unhappy with – please flag it up to me at the email address below and I'll look into it.

And any queries or worries, please do drop me a line.

Matt
Matt Elton

Return to Technical help